(SS) Courage

(A/N: This is a side story. This chapter took place before the start of second semester of the main story. It's kind of related to the story line, though.)

Sudou's POV

It was tough. No matter how hard I try, I could not simply change the fact. I wonder, if those people really could see the changes that I had made. Or they simply ignored all my hardworking efforts?

I admitted, I'm a person who lacks of admirable qualities in him. I am short tempered, indolent, undependable, tardy and such. Those are just the tip of the iceberg of my bad qualities. Yes, I suck at academic, the only aspect that I could at least redeem myself is my athleticism. With that, I started to abandon my academics and pursue on my basketball career.

I was strayed too far from my life path, until she showed up. She opened up my eyes and pulled me out from the abyss. She even saved me twice whenever I messed up and got into troubles. She's really like an angel that descends from the heaven. Sometimes she's harsh, but I know she did mean well.

Well, today's the day. Right before the second semester starts, I'm gonna ask for her phone number. Wait, she rejected me numerous times already. How could I get her to actually give me her phone number? She didn't even bother to look at me for even a glance, or reply my greets. Maybe I should ask (L/N) for his help. He and Suzune were close, that shouldn't be any problem. No, I should not depend on him. I have to do this by myself. As a legendary basketball player once said, "If you don't believe in yourself, no-one will do it for you." I'm gonna do this. I will.

...

(Y/N)'s POV

Today is the last day of my summer vacation, right before the second semester starts. In the morning, I was having breakfast with the guys from our class at the cafe in Keyaki Mall. For the first time, I was invited by them as a friend. I felt so touched. *sniff* Surprisingly, all of them managed to wake up early despite they usually sleep through the whole morning. We hang around for an hour at the mall after our breakfast before we parted away.

I spent some times reading the light novel, Classic Literature Club, that I had borrowed from the library. Amusingly, I found out that the male protagonist of the story portrayed some similar qualities as I do. After finished reading, I then went to the girls' floor of the dormitory and visited Horikita.

Horikita: You're here a lot now.

She greeted me as I knocked on her door.

(Y/N): Well, I have no other places to go. Am I not welcome?

Horikita: Of course not. Just... try to notify me by text before you come here.

(Y/N): Alright. Next time I will.

She allowed me to enter her room. As usual, her room didn't change quite a bit ever since that water bottle incident. I sat on the floor and leaned on her bedside. Horikita went to the kitchen and prepared me a matcha tea.

(Y/N): Even though the air-con is on, the heat still did not dissipated.

I said while fanning myself.

Horikita: Really? I was doing just fine before I opened the door and let you in.

She set down the tea on the table.

(Y/N): Hey, don't blame me. Blame the damned weather.

Horikita: Don't be stupid. Your body will cool down by itself as long as you keeps calm.

(Y/N): Really?

I shifted my seating position to a meditation posture.

(Y/N): Om...