Despair

(Y/N)'s POV

While Class D dealt with its own problems, the second-and third-year students' cavalry battle proceeded. Horikita kept staring at her brother, whom she couldn't approach.

Sudou didn't return to camp even after the cavalry battles ended and the final event, the 200-meter dash, began. The school will continue on with the contest, paying no mind even if one or two students happened to be absent. The absentees will simply be disqualified and will not be able to obtain points. The rules were clear.

Beneath us, Ryuuen approached.

Ryuuen: Hirata, what happened to Sudou?

Perhaps Ryuuen had been observing Class D from a distance, but he spoke as though he were there close by when everything went down.

Hirata: Something came up and Sudou-kun's taking a break. He'll be back soon

Ryuuen: Kuku. I don't think you should be saying baseless things like that.

Having his named called for the second race, Ryuuen entered the course.

Hirata: You've taken first place in all the individual competitions so far, right, Ryuuen-kun?

Behind his back, Hirata called out to him while silently displaying his fighting spirit.

Ryuuen: What's wrong with that?

Hirata: In terms of the participants this time, you're likely to take first place. It appears Ryuuen-kun's quite lucky.

Ryuuen: Heh. Luck's on my side after all.

Hirata: I don't know how much longer your luck will last, though. Anything can change.

Ryuuen: Huh?

Hirata: What I mean by that is I know what you're thinking.

Ryuuen laughed scornfully as though saying he had no idea what he's talking about. Hirata then continued.

Hirata: The fact that you've obtained the list on Class D's participation table as well as the fact that you know the physical abilities of Class D's students in detail too. And I also understand that you intend to make use of that. We're not idiots. We have a few tricks hidden up our sleeves.

Ryuuen: Ooh. I'd be scared if that weren't such an obvious bluff. Look at how far apart Classes C and D are now. Doesn't it fill you with despair? Regardless of whether you knew the truth or not, you should've at least tried to trick us.

Hirata: I just have one thing to say to you. Before the day ends, I'm going to show you something interesting.

Ryuuen: Something interesting? Then I'll be waiting in anticipation.

Ryuuen didn't sound fazed in the slightest. He probably had no reason to be, considering that he went on to handily take first place in the 200-meter dash.

(Y/N): So there's a little over an hour until Sudou's next match, huh?

The dash continued for the second-and third-year students, followed by a fifty-minute break. If Sudou fails to return by then, it'll be checkmate. With our ace gone missing, there's no winning chance for our class. There's only one person in this class capable of forcing him into action.

After I placed third in the 200-meter dash, I waited for her to finish her own race. I wondered if Horikita understood just how vital her role was.

(Y/N): Suzune. Do you understand the gist of Sudou's situation?

Horikita: His leadership was questioned and he came to realize what a disappointment he is before running away.

(Y/N): Roughly speaking. That's true...