Bottle Trouble

(Y/N)'s POV

On a certain day around 6:00 p.m., all of us received a text message from the school. Apparently, the entire dormitory wouldn't have water for quite a while, due to trouble with the water department. When I tried turning the tap to test it, indeed no water came out. It seems repair attempts will be taking some time to finish and if it happened to be prolonged, it could take up to early morning to be fixed.

In the meantime, the school was taking the necessary steps to provide for its students. It would hand out two liters or more of water in the cafeteria as needed, although the text warned us that the cafeteria was expected to be crowded as a result. The Keyaki Mall would provide free drinking water, but we were forbade from taking it home, though.

That hardly an issue for me. The major problem would be the toilet. Although there is water in the tank, since it can only be used to flush once, caution is necessary.

(Y/N): As for drinks...there's still a little bit left.

I opened the refrigerator to check on my water supply. Sadly, it was limited. The tea should have been enough for one cup, but enough for me to go through the day.

(Y/N): Hmm... What should I cook for today's dinner? I should avoid making anything that need water.

After that, I decided to make some sandwiches for my dinner, but I ran out of bread. Sigh.

As I prepared to leave for the convenience store, my phone suddenly rang. The moment I went to answer it, it stopped after two rings. When I check the caller identity, it turned out to be Horikita Suzune's name.

(Y/N): Suzune?

I waited for a minute for her to call me back, but she didn't. Looks like she called my phone by mistake.

(Y/N): I guess I'll call her later.

I then slipped the phone into my pocket. I put on my windbreaker and exited my room. As I was waiting for the elevator, I decided to call Horikita and check up on her. However, no matter how many times I called, Horikita did not pick up. I did think it was strange, but maybe because she's busy.

The elevator arrived. I entered the elevator and pressed on the ground floor button on the elevator panel. When I reached the ground floor, my phone rang again. When I wanted to pick up the phone, the ringing stopped. Another call from Horikita. I tried calling back again, but she didn't answer. This was getting suspicious.

Perhaps coincidentally, right after the call ended, she's busy. That was also a possibility but from Horikita's personality that's hard to imagine. She's the type to only call when she's in a calm state of mind. Even if something had happened, ending the call twice in a row, and not picking up afterward, was strange. I concluded that Horikita had probably been caught off guard by something unexpected.

As she didn't reply via calls, I then tried to send her a text.

(Y/N): Hey, looks like you tried calling me twice. Is something wrong?

And when I sent that message, without even a time delay, the read notification appeared. But from the message that had been read, a reply did not come. I waited for quite a long time but a reply did not come.

(Y/N): I'm on my way to the convenience store to buy somethings, want me to stop by later?

Once again, the read notification popped up, but she didn't reply. I gave up on buying the ingredients for my dinner and went on buying some cream rolls instead.

...

After I bought the cream rolls from the store, I ate one while walking back to the dormitory. It had been a while since her last call. Honestly, I started feeling like something was wrong.