Broken Bonds

(Y/N)'s POV

Hirata: Could everyone please gather around?

When I returned to the camp site, Hirata's meeting had begun. I saw Karuizawa trembling with anger, her eyes puffy and red.

Karuizawa: We can't trust the guys. It's absolutely impossible for us to stay in the same place as them!

Hirata: But there would be problems if the guys and girls lived apart, don't you think? The test is almost over. Because we're all friends, we need to believe in and cooperate with one another.

Karuizawa: You might be right. But we can't stand being in the same place as underwear thieves!

Karuizawa shook her head, dismissing the notion as impossible. If the victim said so, Hirata couldn't really force her. Shinohara took a tree branch and drew a line.

Shinohara: We should segregate the boys' and girls' areas! You should move the boys' tent and make the girls' side off-limits.

Hirata: I don't know...

Ike: What the heck?

Yamauchi: If that's what you want, you guys move the tent! I'm sure as hell not gonna!

Karuizawa: We weren't asking for your help!

She shot back at them. Shinohara, feeling like the situation was taking a turn, looked to Hirata to save them.

Shinohara: You'll help us, right, Hirata-kun?

Hirata: Okay. I'll do it. It might take a little time, though...

Shinohara: Thank you, Hirata-kun. Aren't you glad, Karuizawa-san?

Karuizawa: Yeah, Hirata-kun is the only one we can trust.

Karuizawa, looking happy and a bit bashful, blushed.

Ike: Heh. Hirata might even be the culprit.

Karuizawa: Huh? Hirata-kun is not the culprit. What a stupid thing to say. Why don't you go jump off a cliff?

Ike: What?! Don't give me that crap, Karuizawa. Just because he's your boyfriend doesn't mean he's not the culprit!

Naturally, more and more complaints came from the guys, but their words fell on deaf ears. Everyone except for Hirata was a suspect, so there wasn't anything to be done about it. We quickly reached an impasse, with Karuizawa and Shinohara in complete control.

Horikita: Wait a minute. I'd like to raise an objection—especially against you, Karuizawa-san.

Horikita spoke up, calmly and firmly opposing Karuizawa.

Karuizawa: What is it, Horikita-san? Are you not satisfied with what we're saying?

Horikita: I don't particularly mind dividing up the living areas for men and women. As long as the culprit hasn't been found, it is certainly a good idea to keep our distance from the men, considering the likelihood that the culprit is among them. However, I don't trust Hirata-kun. I cannot dismiss the possibility that he might be the underwear thief. Also, I'm unconvinced that he should be excluded from the ban on men.

Karuizawa: Hirata-kun would never do such a thing. Can't you at least understand that?

Horikita: That's just your personal belief, isn't it? Don't force your way of thinking on me.

Karuizawa stepped closer to Horikita, looking like she didn't approve of Horikita's attitude.

Karuizawa: Hirata-kun is definitely not the culprit. I know you don't even have friends, let alone a boyfriend before. But now, you do have (L/N)-kun! You should probably understand my feeling!