Reconnaissance

(Y/N)'s POV

After a brief check inside the room, genuine practice for the purpose of determining aptitude began. Although Hirata's policy didn't encourage forced participation, roughly 90 percent of the class took part in the various tests. Only a few, like Kouenji and the Professor, sat them out.

One of our classmates, Sakura Airi, finished in last place, looking as though she was about to collapse, both hands on her knees.

(Y/N): Good work, Sakura. You were eagerly running out there.

Sakura: (Y-(Y/N)-kun, Ah... hah...

She had always been rather unathletic, but recently, she'd worked hard to contribute to the class. Unfortunately, her lack of physical endurance was still a problem.

On the other hand, as for the usually unserious Sudou, his existence right now would be noticed by just about anyone. After having mouthed off in class, he could not afford to let it end with disappointing results. He needn't have worried. When he was in top form, Sudou was unbeatable. No student in our class could stand as his equal.

If anyone could, it would be Kouenji. Before, when he faced Sudou as an opponent during swimming lessons, when he swam seriously just that once, he transcended Sudou's time. His skill was obvious, but he wasn't going to budge unless he wanted to.

Kushida: You're amazing, Sudou-kun. You're definitely the sports festival leader.

Sudou: Me? As a leader?

He appeared to be a little taken back by Kushida's word.

Hirata, who was recording everyone's scores, apparently agreed with Kushida and said.

Hirata: Of course. The sports festival is truly the place for the athletic students, after all. I believe Sudou-kun is more than qualified for that. If you're fine with it, can you accept it too for everyone's sake?

Sudou: But even so, I'm not cut out to be a leader...

Sudou, who pretty much acts alone or with a small few, seemed slightly bewildered. Then he looked at Horikita who was near him and asked her for her opinion.

Horikita: You're not the type of person to speak eloquently. As a communicator, Hirata-kun is certainly the superior choice. However, by looking at your sprint earlier as well as your other records I can understand. You're the type of person to shine while bathing in the attention of many. To tug the class along, it's probable that brute force will be necessary. I have no intention of objecting to you being named the leader.

She didn't encourage him, but she didn't reject him, either. She'd acknowledged him.

Sudou: I get it. I'll guide Class D to victory in this sports festival then!

Perhaps it could be his desperate need for her approval was foolish, but he clearly wanted to live up to Horikita's expectations.

Horikita: Don't get overconfident and sloppy, because I'll make you pay for that.

With that, she walked away and returned to practicing. Sudou wore a determined face while clenching his fists as he watched her go.

...

Sudou, who had started acting in his capacity as leader, had the students assemble on the next day and began coaching them. It appears Sudou's job on his first day as leader is to teach them to get the hang of tug of war.

He grabbed the short length of rope tightly to give us a practical demonstration. Ike and Yamauchi faced off against him.

The looks on their faces suggested that they expected to win, but when the match began, Sudou pulled with an overwhelming amount of strength. A disappointingly short time later, Ike and Yamauchi fell down and sat on the ground.