Chapter 2

The guild was again quiet after what they just saw. Archer practically teleported to Erza. Actually they were sure that was what she did. How in the world could she be that fast? How can she go from the middle of the guild to the corner in the blink of an eye? The far corner. She had to have teleported.

At the moment she still stood in front of the shocked Erza. She had been staring at her for some time. Her gaze made Erza uncomfortable. Something she noted and backed away.

"I apologize for making you uncomfortable. I have a habit of staring too long. I like to observe, you see. You can tell a lot about people if you just carefully observe" she said. "I am Archer by the way. And you? "

"Erza"

Archer raised an eyebrow as she slipped into the seat opposite the girl. She rested her chin in her palm as she looked at her. She had completely forgotten her little scruffle with Gray.

"Just plain Erza? "

Erza nodded and looked away. She wasn't comfortable around people and around Archer even more so. But unlike most it wasn't because of her distrust or history. It wasn't because of her fear of being judged or accepted. It was different. There was something familiar about the girl in front of her. She couldn't dicern it. And why had she suddenly taken an interest in her? Her eyes were calculating. It made Erza very self conscious about herself. She found herself tugging on her white shirt.

"Yes. Just Erza"

Archer hummed. That wasn't right. Jellal was supposed to name her. Didn't they meet? Was she not captured by the men of the tower of heaven? No she was. She could tell by her right eye. It wasn't filled with emotion. It was dead. Dull. Staring at it made her sad. She wasn't there to protect her. She wanted to be, but the eclipse gate was set to open on July 7 year X777. She could not change that. If she did it would have been very dangerous. The risk of losing her memory was too big to take. She was forbidden from doing such a thing and ended up coming with the dragon slayers.

She wondered what could have changed. Why didn't Jellal name her?

She sighed. Jellal.

She was never a big fan of the man. Why? Because he just refused to get over himself. Everyone forgave him for his sins. Everyone except him. He alone believed that what he had done was completely unforgivable. He alone thought he was not worthy of Erza's love. Even though he loved her. Even though she loved him. If she loved him it clearly meant that she deemed him worthy. Was it enough for his insecure edginess? No. It was not.

Disappointing. Why did he have to hurt her like that. Hurt himself.

"I see" Archer shifted, tugging on her scarf. "Sounds lonely. Have you ever thought of naming yourself? Giving yourself a name? "

"No"

"You should try it" Archer suggested.

"I'm fine as I am"

Archer hummed she finally stood up. She didn't move however. She continued to stare at the coy girl.

"If you say so. But it does not stop me from coming up with my own name for you" she said. One did not have to see behind the mask to know she was smiling. She stared at Erza's hair. If Jellal didn't do it she might as well. Who knows. She could be the one to always be there for the redhead. "I'll call you Scarlet"

With that she turned and left the girl. She waved as she did. "Enjoy your cake, Scarlet "

Erza only watched as the girl casually walked away. Her interaction with her was odd. The feeling of familiarity remained. What was that even about? Scarlet? Why that name? Why did she even see the need to name her? Why was she looking at her like that? Why was she like that? So many questions. It was confusing and frustrating.