chapter 14

A familiar scent was presented to the ever observant Archer. There were two scents. The familair being that of sweet little Wendy. She smiled upon receiving the scent. She frowned at the smell of the other. She didn't recognize it and it wasn't bad. It was interesting. She had an idea as to who it was and knew that Erza could not see the person. It was most likely edo Jellal who was kind enough to look after Wendy as they traveled. She appreciated that. She may not like earth land Jellal, but she was a fan of edo Jellal. She needed to get Wendy herself. Erza would have to let go of her if she planned on doing such a thing.

"I'll go get her" she said determined as she rested her own hands on Erza's. She was gentle when she made her release her firm grip. "Cling to Demeter for a moment"

The ease with which Erza was casually lifted and placed into Demeters arms was embarrassing to her. That didn't last because she had looked down. Big mistake. She's never flying again.

"Are you going after her on your own kid? " Igneel's voice boomed. "Want me to drop you off? "

"No, I'll be fine" Archer said as she stood on Igneel's head. She gazed down at the earth, her hands in her pockets. She took a deep breath and sighed. The night air was amazing. With that she casually stepped off the dragon.

Her face was neutral as gravity pulled her down with a force. She only stared down at the quickly approaching earth with calm eyes. How many times had she dived off dragons? It was a stupid game the boys used to like playing and she would come along only to make sure none of them died.

When she was close to the ground red flames erupted from her feet slowing her descent considerably.The flames were soon to go and she landed softly on her feet. She tilted her head, sniffing out the familiar scent. She hoped Jellal didn't attack her thinking she was hostile. She followed the scent, easily adapting to the night. Her eyes seemed to glow in the night. Maybe they were. Maybe they were just that bright. She spotted Igneel flying over head, making sure to stay close.

After a minute or so of wandering through the forest she came face to face with an apprehensive Jellal. He looked on guard and took a step back. He had a sleeping Wendy in his arms.

Archer raised both hands as a sign of friendliness. Jellal stared at her for some time. Debating whether or not to trust her.

"Who are you? "

"Archer"

At the name he looked at her with new eyes. Recognition.

"Do you know a little girl named Wendy?" He asked.

Archer nodded with a hidden smile. "Yes,I was looking for her for some time and followed her scent to you" Archer eyed the sleeping toddler. "I'm glad to see you're so protective of her"

"She talks about you a lot " the boy said with a fond smile.

"Yeah? She probably talks about Natsu, Gajeel and the twins too. And Grandeeny as well" Archer said, fondness in her voice. "Wendy isn't used to being alone and I'm glad you found her. You seem like a nice person"

Jellal nodded. "I couldn't leave her alon, but she can't continue to travel with me" he said a bit disappointed. "I love having her around. She's like a little sister, but.. my travels are dangerous"

The boy was careful as he repositioned the young girl. He approached Archer slowly and careful not to trip on any tree roots. He let out a sigh as he slipped the sleeping toddler into Archer's arms. He smiled when he saw her cuddle into the other, tiny hands gripping her scarf.

"Thanks for taking care of her" Archer was genuine with her thanks as she held Wendy carefully

"It's alright " Jellal made to walk away when he seemed to suddenly remember something. He dropped his backpack to the ground and rummaged through it.