chapter 48

Two million jewel all for the sake of a single book? Lucy would be lying if it wasn't a pleasant change,however, it did strike her as odd even when the client,known as Kirby Melon,began to explain. The mission simply stated that they had to retrieve a book kept by a rich snob and they would be rewarded with two hundred thousand jewel,which was great but also questionable. Even that seemed too much for a simple job and it was something Lucy only thought of while reading the mission sheet for the fifth time on their train ride to the town. The book must be very important to this man if he was willing to pay that much money just for getting it back or perhaps stealing it. She should really focus on what he was saying since it would be crucial information and missing a single detail could lead to mission failure.

"I want you to destroy the book"

That is what she came back to which had her silenced in surprise and glancing back to the mission sheet. There stood that she had to retrieve it and now he was not only telling them that the reward had increased exponentially,but that the job had changed. She wanted to ask why, but figured she shouldn't try to pry. If it was important he would tell her soon and that was all that mattered

"You're rewarding two million jewel for the destruction of a book?" Nero questioned with a look of offence on her face. The destruction of a book is not something she stood by,for books contain a vast array of knowledge and wisdom and frankly some good adventures. To destroy such a thing this man must have a good reason,if not the dragon would not favor this man at all.

"I have a question" Asher finally spoke since her arrival in the client's house. She had remained quiet and simply listened to what the man had to say,ignoring the oddness of his request,but now she found she had to bring something to his notice. "Was this book belonging to you or is it this rich man's possession? If the latter then you are encouraging us to commit a crime,are you not?Because as far as I'm aware, destroying a person's property without permission is a criminal offence to you humans"

"I-" the man looked off in obvious shame and nodded sadly. "It is the latter"

"Why do you want to destroy this book so badly?" Lucy asked even though she had told herself she would refrain from prying and looking too deep into this.

"I cannot forgive that book's existence"

That was all he was comfortable saying as he soon dismissed them and wished them well on the assigned mission. Soon the trio were standing outside his door,each a pensive look about them.

"What an odd request" Nero voiced her opinion as she started to walk away. "Whatever had that book done to the man?"

"Humans are strange creatures" is all Asher had to comment on the question as she quickly followed after her beloved dragon. "How shall we continue from here,sweetheart?"

Lucy wanted to reject the pet name immediately,but stopped once she realized that would only result in another pet name. So she said nothing and decided to be happy with the fact that she no longer referred to her as princess for she absolutely despised being associated with that word.

"Our target is looking for beautiful maids, so it would be best to find you a maid uniform" Nero suggested to Lucy's horror.

"No" she simply said with a glare and folded arms. "I am not dressing as a maid, that dress is not tactical in anyway and gives me no way to effectively hide my daggers and also no convenient way of carrying my keys and my whip. I am not going in there feeling defenseless so I will absolutely not pretend to be a maid"

"But" the disappointment was obvious on Nero's face and she did not try to hide it in the slightest. "You'd be so,so delicious in that uniform"

"I am not dressing up for you,dragon"

Nero sighed with a look of dejection and made no further comment on the issue. If Lucy did not want to don the uniform she would not be insistent on it for it would obviously temper the blonde.