chapter 38

Archer stood motionless for a moment, eyes completely focused on the odd creature looming before her. She tilted her head slightly as the guttural sounds it released practically scratched her ears. It was massive. She was actually surprised to find something almost as big as a dragon. With each step it took she could feel the vibrations in the earth. Each rage induced roar it let out pierced her ears painfully. A single swing of that thing's claw was strong enough to rip through three trees. Archer was hoping for something somewhat challenging and here it is right in front of her. She was rather surprised the creature hadn't attacked her yet. She had been standing before it for almost thirty seconds now. She expected it to lash out at her, with how it growled in anger and frustration. She would be frustrated too if she was in its place. She was hard to catch. Every deadly swing of this creature's claw was evaded. It hadn't even touched a single hair on Archer's head. She rather enjoyed running about as she did. The creature was fast on top of everything else and that too impressed her.

Another roar cut through the night sky as a monstrous arm raised into the air above her. Archer followed the movement, her posture remaining relaxed and unbothered. She remained where she was as that arm came swinging down on her. She could hear the whistling wind and practically feel the force that arm held. She didn't even flinch as she leaned back just slightly, sharp claws missing her by just an inch. She felt the air on her face. The force would be strong enough to at least send her tumbling back. Right before her very eyes those claws impacted the earth, an explosion of dirt and debree ending as the result.

Another explosion followed almost immediately after, drawing Archer's attention. She had looked over just in time to see Erza nimbly sliding between the legs of her own monstrous opponent. She was quick on her feet as she twisted her body in the opposite direction, sword already mid swing. It glowed brightly with the magic it had collected, ready to be fully released. With a complete arch a single red gleam cut through the air, carrying with it an impossibly destructive force that went straight through the  the creature's body. Erza seemed surprised at this, watching with wide eyes as the damage spilt the monster right in half. She had never released the energy stored in the sword. Or at least not in a full attack. It was mostly released in smaller, less destructive bursts. She didn't expect the power behind the sword. Archer had told her it would return what it had absorbed with a vengeance, but she didn't let her know exactly how devastating that would be.

The creature was defeated with a single swing of her sword. Erza looked down at the sword, its glow fading to nothingness. Even after a full year with the sword she still had some things to learn about it.

"Ni-" Archer hardly got the first half of a word out before she had to duck a wild claw. She almost forgot about her own opponent. It seemed it was not very happy about being so casually ignored.

"Almost forgot about you" Archer mumbled once she made a distance. Her hands were placed in her pockets as she thought of ways to handle her situation. There were many things she could do at the moment. All were equally appealing to her.

The earth shook as the monster thundered towards her. She seriously wondered what the creature was. It was very rare for her not to know something. Even she was surprised by her lack of knowledge in this situation and of this creature. However, it wasn't something she dwelled on. She could always ask Demeter or any deity if the thought continued to plague her.

Again she stood motionless before the beast. It was rapidly approaching while she was still considering her options. She calculated fifteen seconds at most. When that time runs out she would be face to face with the creature set on ending her life. Within three of those seconds she went over her options. That left her with twelve. Her bow had formed in her hand within less than one second, her arrow formed soon after, its color a silver flame. She took aim, releasing a steady breath as she pulled the arrow back. Seven seconds remained. She hummed to herself as she released the arrow. It only took her five seconds to actually react, she noted. She could've waited longer. It would have been far more exciting had the creature come closer. Just inches away from. The thrill it would bring. The risk. She sighed. Too bad.