The Black Woman 👩

🍓 SERIE NINETEEN 🍓

Story by: Authoress Ademide

              Arike's POV

I walked out of my room and made my way to the garage where I could find Daniel. He was alone but the on phone with his back against me. I stopped to not attract his attention,hoping to find out the reason why he wasn't going home to his family.

"We already talked about this.." he said. "I am not coming home this Christmas...I have a lot to do at the foaster home."

I couldn't hear what the other person was saying because the phone wasn't on speaker. But Daniel was lying to whoever he was conversing with.

"Mom can you just forget about the black woman? It is not about her."

Black woman? Who? I haven't seen him with any black woman and I am not sure Daniel has been seeing any woman. We are a bit closer enough for him to tell me about it if he has one in his life.

"This is none of your business. Whether it is a black woman or not..I am not going to do what you are asking. I have to get going now." He concluded.

I should get going too. But it was too late. My eyes met his when I looked up. Geez when did he make the turn?!

His mouth dropped slightly. I waved with a half smile on my face. I hope he won't think I was eavesdropping on his call.

"I will talk to you later." And with that he ended the call.

"I..I..wasn't -"

"Eavesdropping..I know." he completed my intended word.

I shook my head. "I just came here to ask -"

He cut me off again. "Yeah..I wanted to ask if you still want to go to the mall to buy gift for Bright so I could drive you."

"Oh..." I itched my ear. "That would be in the evening when she comes back from school. And you don't need to drive us...I can manage."

"I'm coming with you. I promised to get Bright the new Barbie collection." He smiled.

"Daniel that won't be necessary."

"Why?" He asked.

"It's-"

"I am offering to buy it as a Christmas gift."

"Oh okay..you can drive us if she still wants to go." I agreed.

Daniel lips curled up with a smile. "I just need to drive this to the auto shop for repair." He wiped the white luxurious bus used in transporting children to school.

"I heard you want to be Santa this Christmas." I toyed with my fingers.

Daniel laugher. "Right."

"But you've never missed thanksgiving with your family." I reminded him. But no response came from him.

"Daniel?" I called him.

He looked at me. "I'm listening..."

"Why?" 

He shrugged. "I just want to celebrate Christmas with the children."

He got into the bus and tried to change the topic. "This bus really needs cleaning. I'll definitely drive it to car wash after fixing it at the auto shop."