The singing doll

HER BABY'S 🤰 SECRET 👼

🍓 SERIE TWENTY-THREE 🍓

Theme: The Singing Doll 🧸

Story by: Authoress Ademide

           Arike's POV

       •••••SOME DAYS LATER•••••

It was a Saturday morning, Iteoluwa had looked forward to this day ever since we got to Nigeria. Our plans was to either watch a movie or buy few things from Shoprite mall, and Iteoluwa had picked going to shoprite so she could buy a singing doll after Busayomi told her about the special pink singing doll that most of the children came to buy the day she went to the mall.

Iteoluwa was anxious about the singing doll, she has never had a singing doll except for teddy bears. And it seemed like my baby was obsessed about teddy bears if the word 'obsessed' is not too much for her age.

"Mom, can we go now?" She asked with excitement clear in her tone.

Iteoluwa woke up before anyone else, she had even picked out her outfit and shoes from the box and laid it on the bed.

"Why are you in such an hurry?" I asked.

Her eyes filled with obvious happiness and excitement glistened as she peered up at me. "I don't want-" she paused.

"What if the children pick all the singing dolls and there is none left for me?" She completed her sentence.

"We will buy another beautiful doll." I answered.

Her happy expression faded and was filled with disappointment. "But..I want a singing doll." She folded her arms and went ahead to sit on the bed.

I focused on applying my make up and after it was done perfectly, I stood up before the full length mirror and checked myself. I was dressed in a blue jeans that showed off my curves, a red off shouldered top and I paired it with a silver block heels.

"Baby, how do I look?" I asked my daughter who had a sad look on her face.

I knew she wasn't happy for the fact that my make up had taken longer than expected plus my response to her about the doll was way out of her expectations.

"You look fine." She commented without even looking at me. Iteoluwa toyed with the hippopotamus teddy in her hands.

I sighed and went to her. "Iteoluwa," I called out her name but she didn't look at me.

"Ma," She continued to toss her toy around on her laps like she was punishing it.

Iteoluwa was never the type of child to throw tantrums or cry whenever she was angry or if she wanted something instead she would rather become quiet and choose not to talk to anyone. And if she was close to her toys, she would pick one out and punish it on her laps.

Over the years I have watched her raise the unlucky toy hands up or poke at the eyes or press the belly till she started to feel pity for the toy. That was her way of expressing her anger or display whatever mood she was in at that moment.

I crouched down before her. "I am sorry." I apologized.

She shook her head. "You didn't do anything wrong." Iteoluwa mumbled as she lowered her head.

"My make up took longer than expected." I held her clenched fist and collected the hippopotamus from the other hand.

"Perhaps..are we meeting someone?" she glanced up at me.