chapter twenty-three

the next day i woke up early and headed over to the hospital. i visited johnny and he could barely talk but it was okay, i honestly just wanted to see him. after a little while i decided that i should leave him alone, "well i'm gonna go now johnny, i'll see you." i said and forced a smile. i slowly walked out of the hospital and headed to the DX.

i walked inside, a cigarette in my mouth. "hey lucia." soda yelled from the counter, steve was helping someone outside. "hey soda." i said as i walked up to the counter. "why'd you go in such a rush last night?" sodapop asked me. "no reason, i was just tired." i told him and shrugged. "oh alright." he answered.

sodapop and i had been talking for a few minutes when i heard the door slam shut. i turned around and saw ponyboy and dally walking in. "hey guys." ponyboy said as he walked up to us. i took another smoke from my cigarette, "hey pony," i said. "hey dallas." i said as dally walked over. "can i talk to you for a second?" dally asked me as he gently grabbed my arm. "yeah sure." i nodded, oh shit. we both walked over to the other side of the room, "what's u-" i started saying but was cut off. "listen lucia, the kiss meant nothing, okay?" dally told me harshly. "okay i know." i said and shrugged. "good." was all he said before he walked away.

i walked back over to everyone and leaned against the counter. i turned around and let out my cigarette on the smoke tray. "you guys wanna go to the drive-in tonight?" pony boy asked everyone. everyone agreed and we all decided to meet up at the drive-in at eight o'clock tonight.