Chapter 2: First Meeting

I walked into the conference room. It was filled with some of the most well-known and accomplished heroes— the teachers of UA.

"Recovery Girl!" I ran up to her and gave her the biggest hug!

I had grown a bit since UA, definitely put on some inches, curves, and muscles, so I picked her up and spun her around.

Let's just say, I got to know her reeeaaalll well as a student here.

"Ah! You silly girl! Put me down!"

I put my arm behind my head, "Sorry, granny. I just can't believe you're still here!"

She gave me a look that could kill, "what's the supposed to mean!?"

Irk. "Nothing. I'm just excited to see a friendly face." I cocked my head to the side with a grin.

"Well, I wouldn't get used to it. Once people notice you're back, you'll be all anyone is talk about."

"Huh? Why would you say that?"

"Just because you forgot about us. Doesn't mean we forgot about you."

Ouch. That hurt. I know UA thought I would stick around. The people here were the only family I ever knew... but I also thought they would understand.

I received letters from Principal Nezu every now and then. News about me often crossed the globe and was published here in Japan too.

He was proud of me. He wanted me to come home, but I had to heal. Or run. Or both.

When I left my agency in the States, I really didn't expect to hear from anyone.

I'm still not even sure how Principal Nezu found me and got a message to me.

During the last two years, I travelled around the world. I needed to escape. Meditate. Find myself and disconnect.

When I received his letter, I was in the countryside of Bali at a temple.

He asked me to come home and teach. The world needed a hero like me, one way or another.... He was always so nice.

I didn't deserve it. His words were so kind, but they made me feel so guilty.

I accepted his offer. I took my time coming back to the city, but I got here.

"Welcome everyone! Please take your seats." Principal Nezu's announcement snapped me out of my trance, and I took a seat against the back wall.

Just listen and get out— like a fly on the wall.

"I want to thank you all for coming. I expect another wonderful year here at UA. Our students are progressing incredibly well, and our incoming class looks more promising than ever."

A thrill of excitement rushed through me.

"This year, I want us to focus on the 'why' of UA and the 'why' of heroes. I want you to think about what these students are facing after graduation. I want you to remember what it was like to be a hero-hopeful. And this applies to all our students. Not just the hero course."

"With that, I wanted to introduce our new faculty. In addition to our pro-hero consultants who change periodically but weren't required to make it today, we have 2 new full-time staff members"

"All Might and Amaterasu, will you please stand."

I was frozen.

All Might is here!? Why would Nezu introduced me!!?! That was not mentioned when he called me yesterday!!!

He knew I wouldn't come if this was part of the deal.

All Might jumped up to the front of the room, fist in the air and all. "Hello my fellow heroes! It's an honor to be joining you this year!"

His smile lit up the room. The rumors actually weren't lying about this one.

"Amaterasu! Join me!" All Might called me to the front of the room.

Wtf. I walked to the front, head held high and looking directly in front of me.

It's a trick I used when I was feeling shy and embarrassed and insecure... walk like you own the place.

I learned quickly that when you're a woman in this profession, it's best to not show weakness.

I smiled as I faced the room. "Hi everyone! I'm Amaterasu. UA alum. We can skip the formalities, please just call me y/n."