Chapter 9: Learning of the Past

The drive was peaceful. The sun had set and the night was coming out.

I didn't know where we were headed, but we left the city and kept on driving.

"Shota, please don't tell me you're actually a villain, and this is all a trap?"

"Wow, is that what you think of me?!" I laughed at him. I could tell he was excited by how loud his response was.

He's really getting into this.

After an hour or so, he pulled off the highway and we were literally in the middle of nowhere.

It took another 15 minutes or so and we were in a wooded forest.

"Shota are we camping?! I didn't bring anything for something like that!"

"No, no, not camping. You'll see." He stopped his car in a clearing... I'll dare say... a campsite?

"Ok, put this on." He handed me a blindfold.

"You're joking..."

"Nope, on it goes. Need help tying it?" he said lazily.

"No, I got it" I let out a playful, exasperated sigh as I tied on the blindfold. Shota got out and started unpacking things from the back of his car.

He had a really nice Subaru SUV. Perfect for this kind of stuff. He loved being outdoors way more than I knew.

I guess that explains the sleeping bag he always has with him...

"Ok, I'm going to come get you." He announced. He opened my car door and led me out, making sure I didn't bump my head.

After walking just a few paces forward, he stopped and removed my blindfold.

"Surprise." He whispered as he hugged me from behind. I was in complete shock.

He had started a small fire and laid out tons of blankets and pillows. He also had small appetizers out along with glasses and a bottle of cider.

Since we drove so far out of the city, he said it wasn't safe to bring champagne. I loved how responsible he was. And, more importantly, how thoughtful.

"Shota..." I said, barely audible. My voice didn't want to work. I had tears rolling softly down my face. "I can't believe you did all of this for me."

He turned me towards him. "y/n, I'd do anything for you. When we were walking the other night, you told me you missed the stars, so I brought you here. I know it's not right outside your front door, but it's not too far. We can come here as often as you like."

" y/n, I want you to love being home."

"Shota, I love it" I hugged him closely. "Thank you so much. You're so incredible."

He lifted up my head to slowly wipe my tears. Then, he kissed me. Deeply and passionately.

I never wanted to stop, but he was so excited to get us all cozy next to the fire and start snacking. He has fully embraced how much I love snacks.

We laid down on our bed of pillows and covered ourselves in blankets. He fed me strawberries, cheese and crackers, and we toasted to the future.

We were laying in silence, watching the stars, when Shota turned to me. "y/n, why did you leave all those years ago?"

My throat tightened up. I didn't want him to ask me that, but I knew it would come up eventually.

This was just way sooner than I thought... but I guess everything was moving much faster than I thought.