Chapter 18: Wake Up Call

It was the day before the UA Sports Festival.

And officially a week since Shota broke up with me.

I looked like a mess. Mostly because I was a mess. And everyone knew it, but no one really knew why. Except for some of the heroes.

I had been avoiding everyone all week. I would show up to school and go straight to the gym. Then, I went straight home.

The one exception was when I met up with Hawks to finalize plans...

He tried so hard to talk to me this week. Just being my friend, but I couldn't do it. I was ignoring my phone completely.

The school day was over, and we were about to have our final meeting about the sports festival.

I sat on the ground of the gym, dripping in sweat. I spent the last hour training on my own. It had been too long since I spent time on myself, and it felt rejuvenating.

I sat with my head leaned up against the wall, eyes closed, thinking about how I would have to see Shota soon.

"y/n-sensei!" I turned my head to see Katsuki.

"Hmm?" I called out.

"Shitty teachers are looking for you everywhere! Apparently you're late for something!!" He yelled while walking over to me.

"What are you even still doing here? It's Friday..."

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN?! I CAN BE HERE WHENEVER I WANT!!"

He was standing directly in front of me. "Too loud." I mumbled, my sad eyes looking at him.

"y/n, are you ok?" He asked, his tone soft.

"Yea, just been a long week." I smiled at him. I can't believe how much these students really care about me...

"Help an old hag up," I laughed and held out my hand.

He helped lift me off the ground. "You ready for tomorrow?" I asked.

He shot me a devious grin, "More than ready!"

"Good," I said while picking up my bag. "You better kick some ass."

"HELL YEA YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!" He screamed.

I laughed as I started to head for the exit, "Get some good rest tonight, Katsuki. You're going to need it!"

I walked into the conference room, still in my workout clothes and a small towel draped around my neck.

As soon as Hawks saw me, he rushed over, "You made it!" He gave me a hug.

I tensed up. Not really wanting to touch. And not really wanting anyone to see.

But his body felt so warm.

I was slowly sinking into him when he started to pull away. I held on a little tighter, not wanting to let go.

After a moment, I realized what I was doing and pulled apart.

"Uh, sorry about that.." I cleared my throat, "Of course, I made it. It's still my job." I smiled sheepishly.

Hawks had a slight blush on his face, "You can hug me whenever you want."

I held his gaze, and it was only for a second, but I felt my heart flutter.

That's not good...

I felt someone staring at me— Shota.

We hadn't spoken all week, and seeing him now, my second of warmth and happiness completely faded.