Chapter 14: Klaus

Klaus' P.O.V

I let out a shocked gasp, my breathe turns hard and I'm breathing heavily, I feel like I've just woke from a nightmare; I saw the story of my life, from birth and through my childhood, what's happening? I am lying awake in bed, Caroline lies ever so peacefully asleep right next to me, her arm is extended across my back, I turn onto my back and hold her hand tightly and move it like I'm using a fan to cool myself down.

'I can't get back to sleep' I think to myself, I have to get up and get my mind in order.

Slowly I move myself away carefully; I don't want to wake her, when I'm sitting on top of the bed I grab my grey vest top and pull it over my head. Now dressed, I get up and walk over to the clear slide-in door of the beach house that we're staying in; I suggested we head to Arizona first, here we are. The sun has been everlasting and hot, the water has cooled us off a lot.

Upon opening the door it still feels rather warm outside, as I exit the house I feel like my body is consumed by the climate and as though I've crossed a vast ground of deeply heated sand.

The wind howls as it sweeps across me, I stretch my arms out wide, eagerly trying to shake off all of the exhaustion within me.

My family and I are apart; Elijah has Elena and his unborn child, but Rebekah is all by herself, and on top of everything else: my daughter, taken by Hayley, I want to forgive her when next I see her and my baby again; this is not me, what has happened to me.

*****
My memory causes me to recall what Caroline and Elena said to me after we stopped Cassia:

"You don't have to be alone anymore. That deep empty hole inside of you can now be filled with a whole new family and me, Klaus, me because I want to be with you more than I want anything." Caroline's words evoked deep sentimentality within me; I finally felt redeemed and that I was finally accepted by others.

"Klaus, you costed me and Jeremy our aunt and my step-father/guardian. When you said that you would protect me because you owe me I thought; 'I think you mean a lot more than just owe me. ' Only I knew that you had changed, and my aunt and guardian are both happy and at peace, so you don't have to repay any debt or feud, I forgive you." Elena then hugged me close and kissed me lightly on the cheek, at the same time I kissed her forehead with gentle care as I said:

"Thank you, Elena." I had a tear gushing out of my eye; in a long time I'd finally felt again; Elena stroked the tear away, all of a sudden I felt more than compassion and redemption; I felt love.

*****
'Am I still a bad person?'

'Have I been forgiven?'

'Do I need to make more amends?'

My family, friends and my daughter mean everything to me now, after a millennia I'm finally feeling peaceful and pure, but at the same time afraid of what my family are plotting, and I can still feel the darkest parts of myself festering around my heart; as I once told Stefan Salvatore:

"Do not underestimate the allure of darkness, Stefan, even the purest of hearts are drawn to it." I was right, so far.

There is darkness in the world; just like Cassia said before she died.

What if darkness is all that lies ahead for me, for Caroline and for everyone that I care about?

With everything getting difficult I sink to my knees and run my hands through the dense, soft ground of sand; I watch as it crumbles apart in my hands.

*****
"Are you ok?" Caroline is awake; she's standing right behind me, her arms are roped around my shoulders.

"I had a weird dream, shall we say?" I reply.