Chapter 37: What is a family?

Family. Friends. People you love; would die for, care for, protect and nurture.

  When did love start, and why do we give birth to new generations, families, hope...

   I always promised to do right by what was important to me, even if I had to give my life. I've died so many times and lived over so many lifetimes, forever sacrificing myself and always watching over my children, waiting for them to be safe - safe from the monsters in the stories they hear about ... safe from even me.

  But I know I'll find them one day. Them and my one love ... together, we'll be a family again.

  I still remember their names as clear as the white oak tree where I gave birth to them, but they don't know mine ... my name - Anja Vetapor*

 my name - Anja Vetapor*

    Crying. The wails and coos of infants and newborns; tears that watered every dry surface of ground, my attire and even the oak of the great tree. Here, I sat with my four children; two sons and two daughters, by name - Cassia, Regale, Petiar and Amara. Cassia, a fast-growing girl of four years, next to her year younger brother Regale, just three years of age, Petiar who was budding on his first year of birth and finally, Amara, my new born daughter, who I had made in my image to one day foster my heritage and become a shadow of myself. It was almost like the frightened little girl inside me was alive and in my arms after having spent so little time growing from within. If only their father were here to see them ... I would rejoiced.

  Families are supposed to stay together. Till the dawn of their time has come.

Till eternity passes them by.

*****

   This morning I woke to a bright blaze of the sun melting away through the thin linen of the curtains that were displayed on the windows

   This morning I woke to a bright blaze of the sun melting away through the thin linen of the curtains that were displayed on the windows. Elijah had to have woken before me, the bed was empty with just me in it, and the smell of fresh bread and bacon was overwhelming the soapy smell of the sheets and the aroma of the abode that was my family lake house. My bright green dressing-gown hung inside the wardrobe, as I tried to put it on and tie the knot, it felt impossible - the baby bump that was surrounding me had grown so much after the last seven or eight months, the twitching feeling from within almost kept me awake all night - not that it bothered me. My white slippers rested on the armchair in the corner, after I put them on the baby started kicking, I breathed deeply. My birthday was in just a few weeks and there was no telling when I would go start experiencing the contractions of labour. I followed the smell of food, it was almost sending a message to the small heartbeat inside me.