Chapter 13: Klaus' Childhood

Esther's P.O.V

Three years after Klaus' birth

Niklaus grew in fear, every day, every morning, every night; each moment of the day, in fact, Mikael was always the torment and brutal character he had sworn to become, Niklaus was always afraid of his presence, he hid from Mikael, Mikael never crossed Niklaus' path, never spoke to him or looked at him; when he did there was only the look of fire and ferocity within his vision, nothing else. Niklaus was doomed to a fate worse than I'd hoped for him, I blamed myself, I thought I should have given him up to his rightful father that day, it came to me all the time.

*****

By the age of three years, Niklaus was able to speak a little, he would run and play with his elder brother; Elijah and Finn, I watched him, he was happy, perhaps the life I had chosen for him would not be so bad after all; I was wrong: Mikael had returned from his hunt, Niklaus walked across the field to greet him, I should have stopped him, but could not; I was carrying our next child, hepefully it would solve Mikael's monstrous behaviour, bring him to account for his mistreatings of Niklaus.

"Elijah, Finn, come inside, I have food ready for you." I had to leave Niklaus, Mikael would have done worse to him if I intervened.

I had to watch the horror of what my husband had become.

*****
Mikael's P.O.V

"Home." Niklaus pointed towards his mother, he held his arms out for ,me to pick him up and carry him.

"You can walk yourself home, boy." I ignored the child and walked past him.

I ventured towards the shack and my wife, she stood there, sadness was in her eyes, she could not bear the sight of my attitude towards the young beast.

"Mikael, you haven't been the same since our daughter Freya died, when Niklaus was first born you were the man, the husband I had once known, you cared, you wanted to be a father to him once." the endless cycle of beseaching and preaching was nothing but pure noise to my ears.

"Remember our bargain, my dear, for the boys fate, you will not get in my way!" Esther would bow her head with tears sprouting from her eyes every time.

"Niklaus come in." she called out to the child.

He entered our home and sat down at the table; he sat right next to me, I would not turn my eyes to face the abomination my wife had conceived, nor would I ever breathe a word to him, yet he would look at me with joy and happiness, something deep inside was telling me to feel like he did, but I felt nothing at all.

That night when we all went to bed, I was awake, staring out into the darkness of the night, I was watching for the beast that was the true father of the boy I was tricked into calling my son, he was nowhere to be seen.

Before I could go outside I felt something pulling at my clothing; it was the boy. He was awake and looking at me with pity, when I looked back at him I was trying to reflect his feelings and his own expression back at him; I was infuriated with him as always. He held out a plant, a flower to me, I knelt down to take it from him.

"Where did you get this?" I asked him, it was a very rare purple flower.

He pointed to the outside, he took it, I was bringing myself to yell at him, but I couldn't do it.

"Do not just take things, do you understand?" i told him softly, he nodded afterwards.

"Now, go back to bed." he leaned in to hug me.

No matter what hatred was burning inside of me I placed my hand over his head, I held him against me in an embrace, at the same time a tear was drawn from my eye. In the next moment I helped him back to his bed, he lay down his head and closed his eyes as he drifted off to sleep, in peace. I could not help but feel happy for him, I finally felt something again, but it didn't change a thing.