Chapter 2: To New Beginnings

Elijah's P.O.V
I've explained to Elena about Hayley and I; we both had our times and we had feelings for each other.

Until I told her that it wasn't real, or right and we let each other go, but she still cared for me deeply.

"Wow, you and her had a rough journey." Elena says casually.

"I promise you Elena, I do not feel that way about her at all. For you I feel more than ever, I feel everything. You are the one. I love you."

"I know."

Elena hugs me tight and pushes me back so that we land on top of the bed, we both laugh and she rests her head on me.

"How long we staying for?" She asks.

"Just a few nights, then I'll take you to our destination."

She smiles at me, deep joy and happiness.

"What's the plan tonight?"

"We're going out for dinner."

"Sounds amazing. Let me just shower first."

I release her from my hold.

"As you wish."

With the door closed and me just sitting on top of our bed I know exactly what we're going to do tonight. Tonight will be a night that neither of us will forget.

*****
Elena's P.O.V
Undressed and feeling the water from the shower running, it's nice and warm; it's perfect.

As I step in it feels like a warm sunshine glowing all over me; when I'm a vampire again it'll never be like this, without a daylight ring. Elijah's got it all covered.

Water drips down all over me, I look down at my stomach, hold it with my hand; it'll start growing out the way very soon.

I feel lips press against the back of my head, it feels unpredictable, like anythings possible.

"How's the baby?" Elijah asks with his head leaning by my shoulder.

"As good as can be expected."

"We're in a bit of a tight space." I say changing the subject.

The shower is in a glass box.

"There'll be more space at our new home."

I can just picture it: the sun shining down on us, vast rooms, like a dream come true.

"I can hardly wait." I say with a smile.

His arms are wrapped around me, I turn to look at him right in the eye and we kiss with the water still running; it's as though we're out in the rain.

*****
Elena's P.O.V
Dressed in nothing but a pure white towel wrapped around me. Elijah exits the bathroom donning a clear white bath robe; it's the first time I've seen him wearing something other than a suit.

I sort my way through my clothes that I brought: from bright blue tops to peach coloured vests. I've picked out a long silver bridesmaid dress; Aunt Jenna wore it to moms wedding, I'll never forget the pictures of them on that day; I even heard the Jenna almost tore it with her high heels, still so funny.

"It's beautiful."

I'm smiling at him, he looks funny in a bathrobe.

"What're you wearing tonight?"

"My smartest suit."

My curling iron is perched upon the comfy chair right next to me; I'll curl my hair for the night.

"You have some time to yourself, I'll get dressed and be waiting outside the door."

"Ok." I reply.

With Elijah getting dressed in the bathroom I start curling my hair, every time I do it, its as though I'm creating a different me, like when you grow up a lot changes and that's what life is to me: a new person, a new look and a new beginning.

Now I'm in the dress, I stand in front of the mirror and start applying make up: lipstick; my lips are red like human blood, mascara, eyeshadow and after makeup I open up the small black box by my hand: it contains the necklace that Stefan gave me, Elijah must have wanted me to wear it.

"Shall I?" Elijah strokes the back of my hair.

"Who am I to say no to such a fine gentleman?" I say casually with a bright smile.

He takes the necklace and separates the chain, draws it across my neck and fastens it.

"Perfect. You're ready." he whispers softly.

He pressed his lips against the back of my head and kisses me softly.

"Have you ever thought about our future and what it'll be like with the baby?"

"Of course I have, a lot more has occurred to me than you think."

I'm reassured by his words that all worry fades away, now the new era is on the verge of its beginning.

*****
Elijah's P.O.V
Everything's in order.

I booked us a dinner at one of the finest New York restaurants: Blue Hill.

A surprise, of course I wanted Elena to be amazed and have the most wonderful night of her life.

"It's beautiful."

"I knew you'd love it." I reply.

Upon our entry we are guided to a table and handed menus.

"Would you like some champagne to start you of?" The waiter asks.

"I'd love some, thank you." Elena says with gratitude.

"That would be great thanks." I say thankfully.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise and also because it's our first night, I figured that we could do something special."

"Well thank you and I'm sure there'll be plenty more surprises in store."

"Your champagne." The waiter lays out glasses out softly on top of the soft clear white table cloth.

"Shall we make a toast?" Elena asks.

"Absolutely. What shall we drink to?"

"To new beginnings."

"I like that, to new beginnings."

Our glasses clink and we joyfully drink to our new beginnings;
Until......

"Wait," I lightly giggle before taking a sip. "I'm pregnant, remember, no drinking."

"You're right, a baby needs to be healthy." Elijah drinks his champagne.

"Can I just have some water, please?" I signal the waiter.

"Coming up, be right back." He goes off to get my drink.

"Thank y...." Elijah has gotten up from his seat and is kneeling down by my me; our lips are pressed together.