Chapter 33: The Mystey Man

AN: This is my fresh start on the continuation of this book, if you remember what I left in the previous chapter before this about a villain from Anjas time appearing in a flashback then this is that flashback; I felt that I was good at doing flashbacks just now so I chose to do this, but Elena will be the one seeing this flashback. Enjoy!
In case you get confused, Elena is in the flashback, but appears as Anja.
Take this as a foreshadowing of the greater threat than Dahlia that is to come.
PS, the music video I chose is Dirk Ehlert Aqua Vitae; I thought it would be a good song for the flashback scene with Anja and the mystery man.
*****

   I felt warm. The bed sheets were draped over me, keeping me safe from the cold chill that chomped at me, giving me goosebumps and shaking my skin, sending a shiver down my spine and making it seem as though something was trying to possess me as their puppet.
     These powers have shown me that Anja (my oldest ancestor) was the first and most powerful witch ever, but now that title- I don't know if that's the correct term- has been passed down from two thousand years of generations unto me. When I'm awake again tomorrow I must start practicing magic so that I can learn to control these powers before they lash onto me more and start to control me; it's my powers that seem to be using me; they keep showing me what only every person; human, vampire, hybrid, werewolf etc. would only want to see themselves. First I was taken to the other side, but now I'm starting to see into the past, except it's me that is the girl running through the wood, I can't see her face, it's hidden by a black veil that hides the bottom half of her and the top half is covered by a black hood.....I dot want to see this.

'Wake up! Wake UP!!'
It's over. Just me in bed with Elijah and the room as dark as a bats cave.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" a voice went off at the bedside.
The voice was Freya's, she was at the edge of my half of the bed, just sitting there like a wolf that watches it's pups as they sleep.
"I take it you and my brother are leaving in the morning, correct?" Freya knows that Elijah and I plan to move to a less crowded home.
"Yes." I reply to her in return.
Freya sits down next to my elbows and stares down at my face, riddled with exhaustion.
"Listen, I know who you are, and that you're now a witch, but I only want what's best for my family. Including him." Freya's eyes point in the direction of Elijah who is out like the dying embers of a fire or a dwindling candle flame.
"You'd go so far for him, yet you hardly even know him."
"Of course. Just like you have gone out of your wits end to protect your loved ones, but you've lost so many. It must be painful." Freya talks with empathy; we share almost the exact same pain.
  "Am I dreaming?" I haven't spoken to Freya like this, and at this time it would be unusual.

   Freya fades and the room turns red, yellow and orange, whatever I'm about to see, it must be important, a flashback to the time two thousand years ago must mean something, but what?
  Trees penetrate the walls, wiping them away and soar up, to the sky as I am now standing in a forest where a fire is lit and men and women are dressed in sashes and veils while countless others offer their hands to each other and the women all shed light on their faces by lowering the veils and hoods that kept them out of plain sight. Except for one, me.
Faces pass by me or whoever this stranger is that I am now in this exact replication of my ancestors time period, but if I am in this world of hers then I must be her, I am Anja. All men don't look at me like a jewel that they must have or a vision of endearment. Perhaps she must have shrouded herself as he veil and hood are pulled across her. I might be in her shoes as they would say right now, but I am in no control of what happens; what happens is determined by how the world was now.
Anja told me that she was in love, but I don't see anyone carting her off as his own or her being praised by a fair man who caught a glimpse at her. She moves herself until her back is blocked by a tree in the back, hidden from the fire and everyone around it, Anja; I hide behind the tree and feel my heart beating at the swift unnoticeable speed that a bullet fired from a gun must travel before it hits it's victim. Leaves sweep from footsteps that are made not too far from where I stand.
I know what this means now, I know why I am seeing this.
But I am wrong, Anja would not have wanted me to see this because it doesn't mean what I think it does; there is no one here that poses a threat. My hand travels across the elm of the tree trunk and freezes when yet another hand is present, both hands are in perfect unison with each other as our fingers lace together slightly. My face greets the man that Anja sees beside her at the tree. He is a mystery to me, he has to be who Anja told me about when she first appeared before me. This man(?) reaches his hand for my face, my hood is gently moved away letting my hair out.
It's dark, but there is more than enough light for me to see all but this mans face, but he can see mine as his hand next opens my veil from the right side of my face and lowers it for my face to become as clear as a crystal to his eyes.
*****
Someone screams, pulling me away from the shadowed man who Anja had met this day. Now chasing the voice that came from the distance, I find myself running through the trees. The mystery of this vision is that man back there: he had roughly the same, but slightly taller height as Elijah. The journey through the woods ends when I am standing as Anja over the body of a dead older woman; her mother, it has to be. A tear filled, heartbroken man lays by her side and strokes her hair and cheek.
   I kneel beside the widowed man.
  "Mother is dead, Anja. It was that night demon who killed her!" the man must be Anjas father, but what does he mean 'demon of the night?'
  The vision ends.
  *****
  I am no one. To her, at least, but not for long:
  Temporarily, my spirit lingers over her bedside where she lies dead to the world for the night with the noble vampire lying beside her. My hidden appearance has chilled her to the bone, but soon she will see me and then everything will become clear; for all I know she almost saw me in her dream that I gave her. Danger lurks in every corner of this room for her, me included, but will she see me that way or not?
  A shadow of Anja two thousand years ago, the mother to two: Cassia and Amara, her daughter Cassia was allegedly painted as the villain who created the betrayals of nature when it was me that put her under my spell and forced her to make everything that defied nature and led to the end of the peace that Anja was entrusted to withhold. And the reason that I forced her ancestor to create all this was for my greatest sin that is only the same as every other mans:
Love.

  Elena awakens. Her powers are more than I believed; she can weakly sense my presence. When she awakes she will see nothing, I will disappear all completely and never reveal myself until the time is right.

   I am more than two thousand years old, like countless others including the Mikaelsons I have cheated death and next Elena am the Guardian of Nature; the one who was chosen to become the first witch and lead the world with the balance of nature protected, but I was rejected for her ancestor, not that that stopped me.
  Elena falls back onto her pillow and closes her eyes.

  "Sweet dreams, Elena."