Chapter 19: Stay Together

Elijah's P.O.V

Together at last. Rebekah and Marcel sit together on top of her car, Marcel's hand is planted over Rebekah's. Camille holds Hope as Klaus and Hayley discuss matters with Jackson, Josh and Aiden are rejoicing in each others company, Nick; Aiden's brother is sitting on the porch as the odd-one-out as Davina, Gia and Caroline come from the front door to me.

"Elena's in the back garden." Davina informs me.

"She looks upset, like she's in pain." Gia explains.

Without a moment of hesitation, I whoosh to the back door: Elena sits on the clear green grass in the garden; shut off from the world and still as a staute that is perched upon a monument to observe the activity of human life; watch as it fleets away, but watches as the immortal lives carry on, never disperse to a mere memory of what once was.

*****

"What's troubling you?" I speed towards her, take a seat by her side.

Elena is really shut down; she gives no reply, I put my arms around her, she accepts my arms by taking them with her own.

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm not going to let you go. Never, not until you tell me."

"Is everyone ok?" Elena's fighting away from her grief; I like that she does that.

"Everyone's safe, but you're the one that we need to worry about, at least me anyway. Try and think about yourself for once, think you can do that?"

"Only if I get to do this."

Elena forces me onto my back with her magic; I feel so immobilised, I can't move a muscle. Next, Elena's right on top of me, slowly, she moves closer to me, our lips are just a short inch apart, but she pulls away at the last minute.

"And this." Elena releases the spell; I'm free to move.

She kisses me before I turn her over and we both enjoy our brief moment together lying in a bed of grass. Before I know Elena has the leaves that have fallen and stacked up a pile of what looks like animal hairs.

"You all right to speak now?"

"Yes."

I sit back up and listen to Elena.

"What I saw inside your mother and Finn's minds was when Esther was young, and when her and Mikael had been together for a year, she couldn't have any children. She wanted a family more than anything, so she went to her sister Dahlia, your aunt."

"What happened?" I ask.

"Dahlia granted your mothers wish, she did a spell that kept her fertile, allowing her to have children. By doing so, Esther was able to have Finn and the first child, your sister; Freya, she didn't die of plague as you and your siblings were told; Dahlia took her away."

Elena's revelations have caught me, now I am more concerned and serious than ever.

"Dahlia put a curse upon the spell tht she used to help Esther have a family, the spell allowed Dahlia to take the first born Mikaelson of every generation, for as long as the family bloodline would last."

I don't believe what I'm hearing.

"Elijah, if it's true then it means that Dahlia will return."

*****

"Is that true?" Klaus and Hayley are by the back door; they heard.

"Every word." Elena confrims.

"Then we should leave, head for Mystic Falls." Hayley remarks.

"We'll go tomorrow." I interrupt.

Hayley looks back at me questioningly.

"What's the wait? We leave now we can escape everything here and stay safe there."

"Safe?!" Croline's entered the scene.

"Mystic Falls has never been safe." she says right to Hayley's face; they both look at each other with their pupils covering their eyes, like a form of suspicion.

"Caroline's right, that'll be the first place they'll think to come for us, but Hayley's right too, we need somewhere else to stay then here." Elena tries to resolve the disputes.

"We stay together, tomorrow we'll leave for Mystic Falls, we need one more night here." my own brother even agrees,

"Klaus...." Caroline seems to be losing her faith in him.

"Trust me." Klaus touches her cheeks and turns her face to meet his.

Caroline turns to face Elena; she'll do what's right, her best friend is one of the things that are important to her right now.

"Ok. I trust you."

"I guess we should go and spread the word." Hayley suggests.

*****

With them now gone I look back at Elena.

"Elijah, Dahlia will come for Hope and our baby, we're all in danger I....."

I try to comfort her by holding her close to me, her tears smear my shirt like stains. She continues to breathe hard and cry as I hold the back of her head and try to stifle my own tears; this is the first time in a long time that I've ever cried. I kiss the top of her head softly as she sniffles and looks me directly in the eye.

"I'm gonna start practicing to master other spells, I need to know what I'm doing with these powers if I'm gonna have any hope at handling being the most powerful witch in existence."

I cup her chin and hold her face up to look at me.

"We're going to get through this, all of us, together."

"I know. It's just I don't want anyone to get hurt, and I don't want to lose anyone else, especially you, Elijah."

"Hey." I hold both of her shoulders "I'm here, I'm never going to leave you."

Elena kisses me when I stop talking.

"I love you." she whispers softly.

Just as I'm about to kiss her back I say:

"I am so in love with you."