Chapter 24: Leaving New Orleans

Caroline's P.O.V
Klaus has the car started, he's anxious to get moving. His foots on the accelerator, his face is serious and like a lonely wolf that he once was, until his family accepted him and he found me. Gently, I hold the top of his hand on the gear stick and look into his eyes with innocence and concern. Before I can inch in closer to kiss him, Hayley and Jackson get into the back of the car with Hope in her car seat; she sits in the middle.

"It's time for us to go now." Klaus announces.

"We have everything, Jackson and I were the last to leave, there nothing left for us to take from here." Hayley assures us.

"I guess it would be kinda nice to be home again." I try to make conversation.

No one says a word, Klaus doesn't even notice me, he shakes my hand from his as he moves the hear stick and the engine ignites itself, forcing the car to move at once.

*****
Rebekah's P.O.V
In my car I have Marcel, Cami, Davina and Gia. Because she's not so tall, Davina's squashed in the middle, but she's not even a little uncomfortable. Mother, Finn and Freya wait by the side of Elena and Elijah's car talking with them. I try my hardest to avoid eavesdropping in on them. Marcel waits by my side as he stares at them and fills me in:

"They're talking about how Rebekah Mikaelson was the most beautiful born, why did everyone else turn out so ugly?" Marcel is joking, I can tell.

I shove him by his chest, he chuckles at me and kisses me lightly on the cheek; a little inappropriate right now. Fighting back a slight giggle, I force myself to kiss Marcel back; on the lips in less than two seconds.

"Don't get any ideas, it's just this once, and no hand-holding, no kissing and especially no manly, sexy staring at me on the road. Got it?" this is me; all womanly and headstrong.

"One hundred percent. Anyway, they're talking about how Elena's powers are what Dahlias after, not Hope or Elena's baby. Says that to Dahlia a witches magic and power is the answer to it all, the key to everything that you want." I don't understand.

"Wait, Dahlias coming for the children, what good is power to her from newborns... Hopes a quarter witch, she has magic and Elena's now a witch her child could be a witch as well, she wants their power for herself." I'm up to speed.

"That's what our sister said." Kol remarks from behind my shoulder.

Marcel and I look at Kol with uncomfortable expressions.

"Not now, Kol." Marcel is rather annoyed at him.

"Hey, I think that perhaps you owe me some respect since I'm on your side." Kol talks back.

"Kol, we have a family to protect, Hope, Elena and our soon to be niece or nephew are all in danger from our aunt Dahlia." I express with high strong-will.

"Think you could fit one more into your car, dear sister?" Kol changes the subject.

"We're out of room Kol, and Elena and Elijah have no space in their car, you, Finn, Freya and your mother are taking Cami's car, aren't you?" Marcel lays out the car plans.

"You're right." Kol says whist looking the other way at Cami's car.

Kol makes his way to his our mother and older siblings, I watch as he joins them and enters Cami's car with them; we're all set now. Marcel holds my hand and looks at me; I know that look, it's his affectionate face. I kiss him softly, he's always had feelings for me, but in the one thousand years that I've lived I have not found someone, and until now I'm torn between Marcel and the boy I met in Mystic Falls; Matt Donovan.

Will I have to choose?

*****
Elena's P.O.V
Freya has explained her story; every detail from the day that Dahlia took her away to what has kept her young and brought her back alive now.

"Freya." I call out to her before we get into the cars.

Freya turns to face me, her face remains as calm and fixed fully on me.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry for what you've been through." Freya rolls her eyes to the ground and manages a short smile with a slow movement of her lips.

At the same time as her, I enter the car, Elijah is in the drivers seat, Josh, Aiden and Nick sit in the back. Josh and Aiden have their hands closely entwined as Nick stares outside of his window, gazing at the outside world.

Thinking back, I remember Freya's words and begin to think about what will come for me, Hope and for Elijah's and my baby. My powers are far beyond that of any witch, they transport me to the other side, allow me to see into the pasts and minds of others, when I next go to the other side, I'll try to figure out what else is there that Miss Sheila told me about, whatever I find, I won't have to face it alone. But now, Mystic Falls is what awaits me, and Stefan and Damon will be there as of now; trapped by the spell I placed upon their home. Stefan will be understanding, but Damon will be himself; same old Damon, all obnoxious, crazy and irresponsible, but hopefully he'll come to understand when the time is right; the baby and Elijah.

Elijah starts the car, as the engine revs to life and every other car now starting up, all that's left now is for us to stay together, and get out of here alive and unseparated. Everyone of us are now fleeing from the danger that will chase us all the way back to the town where I grew up; where most of us did, actually and where I believe that all of this began:

Mystic Falls.

I hold my phone and call Jeremy, but all I get is a voicemail:

"Hey Jer, it's me, your sister. I'm coming home, to you, Bonnie, Matt and Stefan and Damon. Just wanted you to know that I haven't lost contact with you and I can't wait to see you and everyone again soon. Goodbye." I hang up.

"He'll come round, don't worry." Elijah assures me.

"Hey, Elijah are we gonna go without stopping, because I'm not a really big fan of long drives." Josh leans forward from the back to speak to us.

"The more you keep talking, let's just say the more of a long ride it's going to be." Elijah remarks to satisfy his curiosity.

"Time flies when you're having fun." I say to Josh.

'Time' a very delicate perception, time will fly and I'll begin to show the baby that I'm carrying and that continues to grow within me. Holding my stomach I can only think about how the day will come when it's born.

But for now:

'I'm coming home.' I say to myself.