Chapter 35: For all our sake

One week later

     I've only just finally gotten to know the pleasure of my family for just more than a week. Now, here I am standing above a waterfall that leads down into a deep lake. Somewhere my family and no one else will find me, in the middle of nowhere. If any of them ever found out why I came out here, they'd never forgive me. Especially my selfish act of righteousness - to claim my freedom and my own father, Mikael's. Oh, I want more than my freedom, I want to be with my family and be free of my aunt Dahlia who had no right to take me away, except for the vow that she and my mother Esther made with magic in exchange for the family tie of blood, Dahlia was granted to the right to claim a parental hold over any and all Mikaelson firstborns that were bred from any of our family's generations. It pains me to be forced to betray my family and cause the others who they've befriended pain, but unless I do what I'm about to

.... she'll kill me.

     "It was so nice of you to come here, Freya. And alone... a wise decision."  she's here with me, just like always.

    Dahlia's astral form reveals herself from the veil of the world that has shrouded her. Being only half here does give me some comfort. Still, even half of Dahlia is as bad as having her here in full appearance. I don't trust her to release me as much as I trust she'll eliminate her plan to kill me, but she has the only family that I now love in her grasp. Losing my father will give my life no meaning now.

  "I want to see my father, Mikael, where is he?" I say as tears leak out of me.

   Dahlia moves her hand like drawing away a curtain or if a groom is pulling away the veil surrounding the brides face. Her hand motions in the wind, and there he is, standing right beside her. My heart stops breaking when I finally make eye contact with him. He stares at me with no emotion, not even the admiration to see me again.

"What have you done to him?" I look at Dahlia coldly.

  "Be at peace. I've just put him under my influence, if you do your part right, then I'll release him and he's yours, but just as I feel like being kind for once, I'll make an exception."

  Dahlia relinquishes whatever control she has over Mikael that he wakes to see me again. Overjoyed he rushes toward me to try and hug me, he can't of course, he's only a spectre, you might say. However, I'm happy to finally have the chance to see him again. Dahlia watches in awe - not joy the same as me and my father feel, but joy that she knows I'll do what she wants. This one favour for her, and I will never do what she wants again, but that will only count if I don't die by the hand of my siblings first.

  "Father, I'm so glad you're not hurt." Mikael smiles, and though he can't touch me, pretends to stroke at my hair.

  "I won't let Dahlia harm you, my daughter, you don't have to do what she wants." this would have been better if Dahlia wasn't listening.

  "Well that's where you're mistaken, Mikael." Dahlia's hand turns into a choking gesture.

   Michael's throat cringes up tight. I watch and almost share in his pain as his knees greet the grass and his eyes look like they're half popping out.

  "Dahlia, stop!" I beg.

  Dahlia frees him. She looks to me with her cold, black eyes that are as compelling as a vampires mind control, manipulating me into being her slave - I've been like that to her since I was five years old. I always had to be what Dahlia expected me to, but that ends now. She can sense the anguished feeling burning up inside of me - it's the eroding, provocative feeling of being around someone for centuries, and if anyone knows me best, it's her. My whole life has been Dahlia, just as her whole has been me and collecting the others just like me - a plan that was severed for a thousand years, until now. Liberty is a reward, but it comes at a heavily high price. Everything has a price.