Chapter 3: A Sly Trap

Elena's P.O.V

The food was utmostly spectacular and the night was truly magical and unforgettable, it's one night that I will treasre for the rest of my life.

"It's very quiet here, don't you think? Actually, we're the only ones here." I feel rather anxious.

"It does strike me as unusual." Elijah replies.

Elijah is breathing heavily and floundering as though he is drunk and exhausted, something's wrong, the waiter returnds to our table with the cheque; he doesn't seem startled by Elijah's condition, doesn't even notice it.

"Your cheque, sir."

He knows. I the faintest edge of a stake peeping out of his trousers, he knows about vampires and about Elijah being one.

"Are you ok? Let me help you." he's reaching for the stake.

'Too late.' Using my powers I send him hurtling towards the table on the opposite edge of the restaurant; a few glasses and plates smash as he slides across the surface.

"She's a witch!" another waiter is standing behind.

I get up from my seat and look directly at him. Two more waiters accompany him; I'm outnumbered, doesn't matter.

I stare at the three of them and they begin groaning in pain: their legs crack and they become immobilised; too weak to move, there's no trouble for now.

"Elijah, what's wrong."

"Vervain. They put vervain in my drink and on my food."

"So, that's why there was that herby taste. I should've realised."

"Weren't expecting this now we're you?" the waiter that I forcefully pushed is back on his feet; his head is bleeding a little and his clothes are torn and ragged from the broken plates and glasses.

He leaps on top of the table like a wild animal and charges towards us, I have no time to use my powers. Elijah grabs his neck and throws his hand into his chest, in only one second his heart is torn from his chest and he is dead.

Elijah gets up and moves sluggishly, the vervain hasn't affected him completely; he needs blood.

The door opens and what appears to be a gang of grown men enter the restaurant- if only they were men- and run towards us, but too late I use my powers to make a seal, preventing them from getting at us. The seal won't hold forever, we have to leave now.

"Need some help?" a brown haired female says coming from the back of the bar.

"Hayley?" Elijah is puzzled and surprised by her presence.

"I'll handle this." she retorts.

I release the seal and Hayley whooshes at fast speed; knocking, slapping, kicking and heart extracting every one of the wild insurgents.

Hayley's job is done, apart from one final thug standing right behind her, I cause him to feel pain, Hayley turns around and slashes his head off; it's over.

"Thank you." I tell Hayley.

"Of Course. Thank you for helping me there." she replies.

"So, did you know them?"

"Yes. Back in New Orleans their pack was attacking me, Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah."

"How did you know where we were?"

"I followed you, it's a good thing that I did."

"Just so you know, and not to raise any tension but Elijah told me about what you and his siblings have been through." I don't want to give too much away (I'm pretty sure she knows what I mean).

"I see. Well come find me when you're both ready." she says.

Elijah looks like he's in pain and getting worse. I offer my arm to him, he turns his head away, he's still in fear of what he did to Tatia.

"Elijah, I trust you." I say turning his face to look at me directly.

He looks at me worried, concerned and guilty. For the last one thousand years he has buried the truth deep inside of him, until now the torment of the truth has grasped him and caused him pain.

"What you did to Tatia wasn't your fault, your mother made you what you are and she loved you, she's at peace now and happy, shouldn't you be too?"

"Elena, I can't ever risk killing you." Elijah is breathless and ominous- I know how he feels- like he can't bear anything.

"Elijah now that you know the truth you don't have to be afraid, sometimes the truth is like a knife because the past and it's story can cut deep inside and wound you fatally, but you've had your family and now you have me to help you through your pain and you have our child."

Elijah calms down and examines my wrist, gently he sinks his fangs into me and draws a few sips of blood from me; no harm done and only a flesh wound, I'll heal.

I hug him tight and breathe into his blazer, all fear and depression has dispersed and is no longer present.

"Hayley's waiting for us outside, come on."

*****

Hayley's P.O.V

As Elena and Elijah exit I finish my phone call and give them my full attention.

"What were you doing?" Elena asks me.

"Calling the hotel, you can't stay there anymore, I saw a bunch of those werewolves there this morning that's why they were here and tried to attack you."

"Ok. But why Elijah and me?" she asks.

"I don't know but you're both going to have to come with me, we'll go on the road for tonight andd find accomodation in the morning." I explain.

"We can't do that Hayley, you need to find us a place for tonight."

All of a sudden Elijah doesn't care that he's being hunted and in danger, he's changed a bit he usually would run if he had to.

"Why is that?"

"Because Elena's pregnant she needs a place to rest tonight." he explains.

I look at Elena with shock and awe, pregnant eh? seems like I was the first one and now it's her turn to be the centre of attention.

"Just like me huh?"

"What about your baby?" Elena asks looking at me like I'm an irresponsible mother.

"She's back in New Orleans with her adopted brother Marcel, he's taking care of her. That's why I'm here in New York, I was going back for her so that we could both live together, except after tonight it seems as though I'm going to have to postpone that and stay with her there."

"So what exactly do you have in mind?" Elijah asks.

"There's a flight to New Orleans tomorrow, we can get it, so tonight you'll both have to come and stay the night at my apartment."

"Anywhere that's safe and to get a good nights sleep is perfect." Elena says without hesitation.

We're all in agreement, tonight we sleep, tomorrow we head to New Orleans.

"OK. Here's my address, you go get your stuff from the hotel, they'll have it waiting for you at the front desk. I'll see you when you arrive." I hand Elena a small slip of paper and get into my car.

Before I drive off I lower my window and look at them both.

"Be careful." I warn them.