Chapter 13: Play with Fire

– y/n's pov –

I realised that I had Potions with Draco.

"Do you know how to get to Potions?" asked Shane.

"Shit. It was nice talking to you guys, see you later." I hurriedly said goodbye to them and ran out of the Hall to follow Draco. Just as I got out of the room and turned around the corner towards the corridor quite speedily, I tripped over someone's foot and fell on the floor hard. It was near the class time so there were a number students around and I felt so embarrassed I couldn't even feel the pain.

I looked up and Draco was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, smirking at me. I was so angry that I couldn't say anything. Then the pain later flooded in. I looked down and there were holes on my tights on the knees and hints of blood were visible through. Tears slowly filled up my eyes but there was no way I was going to let him notice that.

"Painful? Told you it would hurt if you 'fell' for me." Draco's smart play with words was patronising.

"What is the problem with you?" There was a lump in my throat, and my weak voice cracked through. I hated it.

"Aw, I'm just tryna help. You don't want to be late for your first Potions class, it's the most interesting subject, indeed, and this -" He then threw his school bag on the floor beside me.

"- is my first wish. Carry my bag for me."

"How do you even know I have Potions?" I glared at him, baffled.

"I also know that you have Charms, Transfiguration, and then Library -" Draco somehow had my timetable perfectly memorised. Then he bent down, holding his hand out to me.

"- all with me" He never seemed to be able to drop his smirk.

My brows furrowed in fury and pain. I ignored his hand and struggled getting back on my feet. The burning pain from my knees made me groan.

"Look, I'm sorry if I made you angry in the common room but why do you have to be so mean all of a sudden?"

Draco then stepped closer to me and pulled out my hair band from my wrist.

"I found it really unfair when you gave me that petrified look as if I'm a -" He played around with the hair band. He paused as he put his arms around my back and continued talking as he began braiding my hair.

"- monster, when I didn't do anything that deserved such despise so -" He removed his hands from my hair and crossed his arms. I could feel my hair now tightly braided.

"- I decided to do more bad things until I think it's fair," He bent down and his face was only inches away from mine.

"This is why you don't play with fire." He winked at me and his face soon turned cold. I didn't know what he would do to me if I fought back more so I picked up his bag and quietly followed him. I could feel the worried stares from the students who were around, and the sense of embarrassment rushed in. I tried my best to walk normally, but I couldn't help limping.

– Draco's pov –

If it weren't for Kyle, I wouldn't have been this severe with her. It was partially his fault. The two just made me so mad but something got me angrier. She seemed hurt and I felt bad a little. I'd never felt bad for anyone. It confused me. Seeing her like that was supposed to make me feel much better but it somehow infuriated me.

I thought it was probably because I didn't hurt her enough at a satisfying level, at the "fair" level, so I couldn't stop here. I needed to prove to myself that I did not change for a stupid girl.

– y/n's pov –

Draco and I were the last students to enter the Potions classroom. I recognised a familiar figure who was already sitting on the last row of seat, whose head then turned to face me.

"Y/N!" Cedric waved at me excitedly but when he saw my injured knees, his smile faded. He didn't say anything but instead glared at Draco.

There was one empty seat between Cedric and this Ravenclaw girl. With a nonverbal cold glare, Draco made her rise from her seat and move to somewhere else as if he performed a spell on her. I was going to sit next to Cedric but Draco interrupted by putting his stuff down on the table first. I showed Cedric a reassuring smile and sat on the chair where the Ravenclaw student was once seated.

The class door opened with a loud thudding noise and entered Professor Snape whose walking pace was as fast as Draco. Amber warned me not to do anything that would bother him. Professor Snape scanned the class and his eyes fell on me.

"Our respectable headmaster's decisions sometimes are quite questioning, seeing that some of you could be way more... incompetent than the rest of the class," He spoke to the whole class, but I knew he was talking to me. He probably thought that I'm incapable of learning 5th year contents as this is my first year at Hogwarts.

"I hope a lot of you have read the texts in advance as I've asked you to before the end of last year since Potion making becomes particularly more complex this year," He continued in an authoritative and contained voice.

"Y/N Lascelles," Well I guess my presence itself bothered him.

"What is the effect of Amortentia?" Professor Snape asked me a question, obviously expecting me to not know the answer.

"What's Amortentia?"

"Isn't that 6th year stuff?"

I heard whispers in the room, and I was now very certain that Professor Snape just wanted to embarrass me in front of the entire class, but he picked a wrong person.