Chapter 39: The Secret

– y/n's pov –

How can this be the last day? 

Christmas break was, I'd say, immense joy and the 2 weeks went by so fast. I had never wanted anything to last longer this badly. Draco and I had great time together; for instance, sneaking around to do bad stuff. But as I got happier and more comfortable, it was getting harder to shake off the negative feelings about... near future. 

Then I remembered my conversation with Krum before: "There's something Dumbledore does not know, Y/N... Nobody else knows. Nobody should... You should leave right now, Y/N. Leave this place as soon as you can."

I've completely forgotten about this. He knows something.

Draco was asleep, taking a nap, and I thought there could never be a better chance. I left his room and headed towards Durmstrang's common room that the professors created before their arrival. But I was thoughtless. All I could do was to stand in front of their big red door that required a password that I did not know about and wait endlessly. How am I going to get Krum out? Then a voice called me from behind. 

"Impressed by how they magically build rooms so easily? Me too." I gasped and turned around. It was Krum. I sighed in relief.

"Oh, Krum. I know. Makes me want to request for my own dorm room." I awkwardly chuckled.

"Well, what are you doing here?" Krum asked.

"Uh- actually... I'm here for you. Can we... talk for a minute?"

Krum then hesitantly nodded and we walked out to the courtyard. The sun was setting and the moon began showing its bright face. We sat by the fountain and the early evening breeze was refreshing.

"So... you before said that there's something that Professor Dumbledore doesn't know. What is it?" I asked nervously and Krum let out a deep sigh.

"The sky looks beautiful." Krum tried to avoid the question and I sighed.

"So... What is it?" I asked once again and Krum shifted his eyes from the sky to me.

"Y/N. What I'm about to tell you will make you feel... uneasy." He seemed hesitant.

"Oh my god. Just say it already, Krum." I nervously chuckled. Krum stared at me silently for a while and opened his mouth.

"My parents, when they visited your parent's house that... tragic day, they found strong traces of magic around you. Traces that an attempt of Merging left behind." Krum spoke carefully.

"What's a 'Merging'..?" I asked about the unfamiliar term.

"It's like a dark spell used to merge powers of two sorcerers. When the powers are fully merged, the two become... one, basically. You can think of it as how families share blood so they metaphorically say they are 'one', but just that it's on a more extreme level." Krum explained the term but I was still confused.

"Extreme level..?" I asked.

"The two basically become a family where... if one dies, the other dies as well but this is not a problem at all as Merging allows the sorcerers to become so powerful and thus invincible. They are almost immortal as they become the only ones who can kill themselves. It is illegal to perform this magic." Krum further explained.

"So there was this attempt of Merging and what are you impl-" Then I realised the implication.

"-wait, no. No, no, no." Krum, please, don't say that...

"In that aspect, we think that you could perhaps be... Voldemort's daughter." Then my heart plummeted at Krum's piercing words.

"What?" I thought that I misheard him.

"Whose daughter? No, Krum. No. No! Please, don't say that." I wanted to believe that I misheard him.

"Calm down, Y/N." Krum spoke worriedly.

"Calm down? You tell me I'm the daughter of the most feared wizard and... calm down?" I snorted. 

"Y/N, I hate to be telling you this and I also wish that it is not true but there is a... great possibility. Though, we are certain that the Merging was not fully completed since you were only a baby." Krum spoke melancholically.

"...Why didn't he take me with him then? Why did he leave me there?" My voice trembled.

"According to my parents, Voldemort probably sensed Harry, the boy who was prophetised to be the death of him in the future. After killing the boy, he was going to come back to you, finish the Merging. Luckily, that did not happen."

"Please tell me this is a joke. I'll forgive you." I felt a lump in my throat.

"Y/N..." Krum then just stared at me silently.

"...But why me?" Then Professor Dumbledore's voice echoed in my head: "You are an Allorant, Y/N."

"What's going to happen to me? Krum. What am I gonna do? What do I have to do? Tell me!" I cried out and he reluctantly shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Y/N... We are not too sure. That's why I've been warning you that you must be out of this world and... hide."

I was stunned, so thrown aback by what he just told me.

"You've already gotten yourself into this world and..." Krum sighed.

"let's just not worry too much yet, he is incorporeal after all. He's dead, just... learn and prepare yourself well for whatever is to happen, Y/N. That's the only thing you can do now."

Yes, he is dead. He isn't real. He is not coming back. I tried forcibly removing all fears in my head. 

"Do not let anyone else know about this, Y/N. Do not trust anyone. Not even Malfoy." Krum warned me cautiously.

"Okay." And I nodded. The evening has deepened and the sky was brutally beautiful.

"There they are, Amber will now jump off the train and run to you while screaming 'I missed you so much!'" Draco whispered at me. We were waiting for Amber, Shane, and Kyle at the Hogwarts Express platform. Then Amber did jump off the train, ran to me while screaming:

"Y/N I missed you so much!" She threw herself at me and I giggled, looking at Draco. 

"Hi" Then Kyle awkwardly waved at us. I don't know why but he has been acting really weird since Draco and I started getting along again.

"Ayy, Y/N! Seems like you had a lot of fun" Shane hugged me lightly, smiling. 

"Uh-uh. I disapprove of this." Draco then separated the two of us.

"Protective much?" Shane chuckled and hugged Draco.

"How have you been, mate? Looking good."

There was laughter all around and the excitement for new semester seemed to be thrilling the students. I looked at my friends from behind. They looked happy. I bit my lips and promised myself not to get too caught up with my fears and to simply forget them.

Nothing will happen to me.

I put on a smile.