Chapter 40: Engraved on my Heart

– y/n's pov –

It was one week past the back-to-school day. Everyone already seemed to have gotten tired by the school work as the excitement was nowhere to be seen.

And it was one week past the unintelligible actions by Kyle. He began acting really weird. Kyle Nott, from what he'd shown me before, is a witty, funny boy who never seemed low-spirited, not even once. Him and I, qe barely talked, though, he did show me his typical gentle smiles. But there was definitely something behind those smiles.

He must be going through something. I was worried about him so I decided to talk to him; after all, he was the one who helped me overcome my depressing times. 

I knew Draco hates seeing me talk to other boys so I waited for the right time, which was this one night right before the curfew when Draco was asked to visit Professor Snape. He was sitting on one of the common room couches, staring at the fireplace.

"Kyle, can we talk?" I tapped Kyle on his shoulder. He turned around and seemed surprised.

"Uh- yea, sure." He put on that smile again but it was somehow unsettling.

"So... What do you wanna talk about?" Kyle asked softly. We sat on one of the stands at the Quidditch pitch just like months before. Trying to organise my words, I took a while to start up the conversation.

"I don't... How have you been, Kyle?"

"We came all the way out here for you to ask me... how I've been?" Kyle chuckled and that reassured me a bit. Maybe he's not mad at me..?

"It's just that... We barely talked lately and I was just worried. Is there something going on? You know you can talk to me." I wanted to be helpful like how he'd been helpful to me. 

"I know but... nothing's going on. Really." Kyle then smiled at me but it was a sad smile. He was lying.

"If that's all, I guess we can go back now?" He then stood up and turned to climb down the stand tower. I sighed and followed him quietly.

I came back to the dorm room and I saw that Amber had already made herself comfortable in her bed, ready to sleep.

"Amber?" I sat on her bed.

"Yes?" She replied with her eyes closed.

"I think Kyle's mad at me." I whispered so the two other girls in the room cannot eavesdrop.

"Nah, he never gets mad at anyone." She giggled with her eyes closed.

"No, Amber. I'm serious." I shook her slightly and added. 

"He's been acting weird like he can't even look me in my eyes and he doesn't want to talk with me." Then Amber slowly opened her eyes, yawning.

"Y/N?" She whispered.

"Yes?" 

"Sometimes I think you are really dumb." Amber sleepily chuckled.

"Huh?"

"You'll figure it out. Now, please let me sleep." She then fell asleep. I had never seen someone who can fall asleep quicker than Amber. I sighed. But by then, I didn't know that Kyle wasn't who I was supposed to be worried about.

Months passed by quickly and very surprisingly and strangely peacefully. I spent a lot of the time learning and studying hard as Krum told me to, though I definitely spent more time with Draco. The rest of my winter was spent with him, mostly in his warm and cozy underground hideaway. Draco cast a spell for the magical pond to be warm:

"This is like a hot tub. I love it." I spoke as I splashed water at Draco.

"You do realise that you can't swim and you're holding onto me, right?" Draco scolded, struggling to open his eyes from the water. Then I brushed off the water from his face and kissed him softly. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. Soon after, Draco pressed the tip of his nose against mine playfully, smiling. He then splashed the water at me in revenge. 

"It's hot!" I winced and furrowed my brows as the water hit my face.

"This is why you don't splash water around at a 'hot tub', Y/N." Draco then laughed.

My spring was spent mostly with Draco as well, but this time in... detention:

It was 1st of April.

"Hahaha- Ms. Haha Lascelles, Hahaha Mr. Mal- Hahaha Malfoy, what- Hahaha. What have you done! Hahaha" Professor Sprout yelled, laughing uncontrollably. Draco and I gave her a cup of Alihotsy leaf tea.

"April fools!" We, and the rest of the class, giggled. Then the greenhouse door abruptly opened and entered Professor McGonagall, Professor Lockhart, and Professor Quirell, thumping angrily, yet laughing hysterically.

"You gave them too?" I gasped and asked Draco, shocked. But we soon burst into laughter.

"Detention- Hahahah for yo- Hahaha you two- Hahahaha for the entire- Hahaha month Hahahah-" Professor McGonagall struggled to yell at us. I know it was mean to do that but it was truly the most hilarious thing I had ever seen. The consequence was to clean all classrooms after school before dinner but that seemed to be alright because the detention was... sweet with him.

"Draco, will you stop doing nothing and help me clean, please?" I growled, cleaning the desks.

"I'm busy." Draco replied.

"Busy doing what?" I then turned to face him, crossing my arms.

"Observing you. You look hot cleaning those desks." Draco smirked. He then came over and gave me a back hug.

"Draco, I'm hungry. We need to clean up quickly so we can head down for dinner." I grumbled but he didn't let me go. Instead, he brushed my neck with his lips. It electrified me. He then whispered.

"I can be your dinner."

Then... we just had a lot of fun (alone) in all those classrooms.

These past few months were the best times of my life. 

I was so happy. Draco made me happy and hopefully I did too. Even when Draco was not around, though that was a rare occasion, I would just randomly smile and laugh, which surely made me look crazy. A brief thought of our moment together was enough to enlighten me like that. Without even noticing, he was already taking up a huge part of my life and... it was when summer rolled around that things heightened up. 

It was now June, the month of my final task for the Triwizard tournament that I'd completely forgotten about. 

June... the single most terrible month. 

If only I could turn back time... I should have listened to Krum when I could...