Chapter 53: The Necklace

– Draco's pov –

Professors came running and the crowd looked at me with shock. Then someone rasped.

"Draco... Draco killed Y/N!"

The sentence struck my heart. I felt completely drained of energy.

"Let go of her!" Amber shrieked and fought me to pull Y/N away from me.

"No!" I refused to let go. Professor McGonagall stared down at me with disbelief and there was horror in her eyes. 

"Draco Malfoy, let her go." McGonagall commanded but I just couldn't do that. Then she took her wand out and... pointed at me.

"Please..." I looked up at her with my eyes filled with tears.

"What have you done?" McGonagall snapped, horrified.

"You don't understand..." I groaned. The murmurs from the resentful crowd had gotten louder and somebody shouted indignantly again.

"He's a murderer!" By the constant yells and furious accusations, McGonagall's face had become more aggravated. She held her wand tighter.

"Please, don't do this..." I begged. Then Amber grasped Y/N out of my arms and Hermione helped carrying her to the side and laying her down on the stretcher that Madam Pomfrey brought.

"No..." I whispered and watched her helplessly.

"He's dangerous! He's not supposed to be here!" The crowd continued thundering and I knew what McGonagall was going to do. 

"...Stupefy!"

Aah...

When I opened my eyes, I felt pain from my wrist and it didn't take long for me to figure out where I was.

Cold, damp floor, and bars around the wall...

Am I in Azkaban..? I tried to move but my wrists were tightly chained behind the chair I was sitting on. I groaned as the chains tightened by my move.

Then I remembered what happened earlier today. I felt so heartbroken and at the thought of her... I was on the verge of tears again.

With my head bowed, tears soon streamed down my face onto the grimy floor and I began regretting my past actions that hurt Y/N.

Hogwarts for the past couple of months was hell. Voldemort commanded me to kill Dumbledore or he was going to kill me. It was a torment and it felt like I could die either way.

I missed Y/N more than anything. I missed her smile, I missed her silly jokes, I missed watching her fall asleep on my chest. I missed everything about her, especially her warmth...

One night, I couldn't hold myself together. I had to see her so I sneaked out of Hogwarts and flew to Kyle's. But the moment I arrived, I regretted. 

Y/N and Kyle were laughing, smiling, and hugging.

I just secretly sat outside by their window on my broom and watch the happy pair. 

She must have her reasons. But the sight enraged me and I didn't want to try to understand her. I felt huge betrayal. I couldn't stand what I was seeing so I left promptly.

When I arrived back at Hogwarts, I was caught by Professor Snape. He scolded me for firstly sneaking around and secondly not being able to accomplish my task; but my head was so caught up with what I'd just seen at Kyle's. 

After his long lecture, I was sent back to my common room. Then that's when I saw  Y/N again. It was so unexpected and... I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see her, but she wasn't alone. Kyle was there too and the pair infuriated me.

I was on edge and I couldn't control my temper. All I really needed was her to understand me, to understand the terrors I'm going through. But I hurt her.

"Draco, if you take another step forward, we're done." Y/N's voice was trembling. She was begging me. I didn't mean to take it this far but... I messed it up. I took a step forward.

I felt terrible after hurting her and the following weeks could never be more terrible. I sneaked out quite often just to watch her sleep outside her window, though I knew perfectly well that it could be dangerous for both of us if caught. Some nights, she would open her eyes and see me, which surprised me when she did that for the first time. But she swiftly closed her eyes and I'm certain she thinks that it's in her dream.

Time flew and I was invited to the dinner feast before the Merging ceremony. It was after... Snape killed Dumbledore for me. I was extremely anxious and nervous to see Voldemort, and also Y/N. 

But all that time I still missed her so I was hoping to talk to her, apologise, and make things right. When Y/N arrived with the Notts, I saw Kyle escorting her. It displeased me but I tried to seem contained.

I felt Y/N staring at me but I couldn't stare back at her. I was afraid to see the look on her face. The disappointed, resentful face. But then I saw Kyle whispering to her and Y/N holding his hand, smiling slightly. I glared at them and that's when I saw that face of hers... I looked away. 

After Voldemort left us, I noticed how disturbed Y/N seemed. It must be the acting that consumed her, I thought. I grew worried. She rose from her seat to walk out of the hall and that's when I recognised the shiny jewellery around her neck. It was the sapphire necklace I'd gifted her back in December. I hoped that it was a sign that she still wanted to talk with me and so I followed her out. 

But moments later... Y/N hurt me. She was kissing with Kyle, kissing in the black rose garden where we built our memories together. I was so thrown aback.

I thought we were real and I thought I truly meant something to her. But she just so easily replaced me with someone else. I was so upset and I just fled the scene, heartbroken...

Suddenly, a shadow drew at my feet on the floor. I slowly lifted my head up to see... Professor McGonagall?

"How are you here? Where am I?" I asked.

"Don't worry, you're not in Azkaban... yet." She spoke calmly and took out something from her robe... 

It was Y/N's sapphire necklace and it was... broken.

"Why is that necklace in your hand?" I growled and McGonagall replied in her usual annoying, contained manner.

"Before we get to that, tell me what really happened."