Chapter 15: Hello Quidditch

– y/n's pov –

I wept on the stand for – I don't know how long but – a really long time, until I noticed someone silently sitting on the far end of the row. It was Kyle.

"Cry it all out." As if he felt my stare, Kyle talked in a soft voice while looking at the stupidly bright blue sky.

"How long... have... you been here?" I couldn't help sniffling and I felt so embarrassed, I looked away from him quickly.

"I don't know. Since the start of my second class?"

"You ditched... class... too?" I wiped off the tears from my cheeks.

"I had Library, which is basically a free time" Kyle didn't look at me as if he understood nobody would want to show their red post-crying-face.

"What time is it?" I calmed down a bit but still couldn't stop sniffling.

"10 minutes before the Lunch break."

"Already?!" I turned to him quickly, surprised. Kyle looked at me and chuckled. He was seated quite far away from me but I still looked away hurriedly, remembering my probably unpresentable face.

"Don't worry, you look fine." Then I slowly turned to face him again.

"Slightly better than I expected" Kyle then smiled and quipped as an attempt to make me laugh, which he succeeded. I chuckled softly.

"Ay, you smiled. Keep doing that, that look is much better on you." Kyle's deep green eyes shined by the sunlight.

"Well, why are you here? Is this place your getaway or something?" My voice was much more relaxed.

"There's a back-to-school Quidditch game against the Hufflepuff this weekend. I came to practice." Kyle nodded towards his broomstick on the side.

"Quidditch?" I asked curiously.

"Ohh, so I heard that you really are, quite literally, new to everything." Kyle spoke, intrigued, and chuckled.

"Yea... Everything is just so... overwhelming."

Kyle noticed my fading smile, so he quickly continued talking with an excessive excitement.

"Quidditch is the most electrifying wizarding sport like a... What's it called... Football?" His shuddering motion at the word "electrifying" made me laugh softly. Then my heart stopped at the word "Football"

"The only difference probably is that the players are witches and wizards, and also that there's a cheat key, the Golden Snitch." Kyle chuckled. He then explained to me all the rules and it really did sound similar to football, just way more fascinating.

"What's your position in the team?" My attentive upper body was slightly tilted towards him.

"I'm one of the Chasers, so gotta keep –" He makes a throwing motion.

"– practicing for accuracy."

"Well, I will definitely be looking forward to your –" I make a throwing motion as well, imitating him.

"– breathtaking performance." I quipped and we both chuckled.

"Oh, and are you a cheerleader? You made quite an impression yesterday, showing up in your cheerleading uniform." asked Kyle.

"Yea actually, I am. I mean... I was a captain back at my old school."

Kyle noticed the subtle sadness in my voice.

"Well, perfect! There's something you'd love to hear about, my Queen," Kyle spoke wittily, making a funny butler pose. I laughed at him. Then my heart began pounding by his next sentence.

"Slytherin cheerleaders, they are desperately looking for a new flyer because this former flyer girl left Hogwarts without even telling them. We are competing against Hufflepuff with a pretty spectacular cheerleading team, so they seemed a bit low-spirited."

"You guys have cheerleaders?" A sense of adrenaline rushed in.

"Why wouldn't we?" Kyle laughed.

"I didn't even know that witches and wizards play sports." I was so happy that I just wanted to scream but didn't want to freak him out. There was a possibility that I could continue doing the only school-related thing I truly cared about back in my old town. Possibility that I can immerse myself in something I love and forget about all the depressing things. My heart was skipping a beat.

"Okay. I think you have a bit of a stereotypical perspective there, but I assure you that, when it comes to having fun and letting loose, us witches and wizards, we have a whole another level of craziness inherent within us," Kyle talked excitedly as if the simple thought of "having fun" was enough to exhilarate him. I got so excited, I ran towards him and gave him a big hug.

"Woah, woah. Slow-down! You almost knocked me over." Kyle spoke, laughing proudly at my excessive excitement with no hints of sorrow.

"Whom should I talk to?" I pulled away from the hug and sat beside him.

"Alexa. I'll take you to her. I promise she would be as thrilled as you."

We checked the time and realised that we were right on time for the Lunch break.

"Now, my Queen. Shall we go and make a productive use of our time?" Kyle stood up and bent down with his right hand politely held out to me and the other behind his back. I laughed at his witty gesture.

"Absolutely." I played along. But just as I grabbed his hand to get up, Kyle's brows furrowed.

"Bloody hell, what happened?" He was referring to the burns on my hand (from the boiling cauldron) that I forgot about. The water was surprisingly not that hot, so the burns were mild. His eyes then landed on my bruised knees. He half-kneeled to check the severity of the scars. With his head fixed, he only shifted his eyes up to meet mine. He was glaring but I know it wasn't a glare at me.

"...Was it Draco?"

"Partially, yes, but it was more like everything about... everything." I showed a faint smile. Kyle pulled out his wand, pointing it at my knees.

"Vulnera Sanentur."

Again, I still was not used to seeing magic and it astonished me. My knees were back to normal.

"Reparo."

Then he whispered another spell, which made my ripped tights come back to the original form.

"Madam Pomfrey has the Burn-Healing paste so it will help with the burn," He sighed.

"I'm really sorry. Whatever you are going through, it will get better." Kyle didn't ask further.

"Thank you." And I was thankful he didn't. He was very understanding and patient unlike... Draco Malfoy. I stood up and gave him a light hug. When I pulled myself away, Kyle was looking at my neck suspiciously. He pushed my hair behind my shoulder and gasped at the scratch from the Valerian root.

"Come on, let's go find Alexa." I awkwardly chuckled, quickly hiding the scar. Kyle definitely did not enjoy what he just saw but he smiled with an effort and we headed back to the school.