Chapter 61: Erised stra ehru oy

– Draco's pov –

Dead.

I couldn't acknowledge this most obvious and terrible of truths. 

The fire ring died out and I remained on the floor with her. The room was silent except for my cries.

Seeing her helpless body, tears flooded out. I wept painfully to the point where I couldn't control my breathing and choked on the air I inhaled. 

I never knew how it feels like when someone you love dies. Never knew that it's like constantly trying to swallow a sharp stone. 

"No..." I touched her face with my trembling hand. It was cold.

Her smile and her laughter lit my whole world. She was someone who made every day mean something. And now I was lost. And nothing meant anything anymore.

I lost her.

I closed my eyes at her intimate touch. It was a slow movement, not one meant to seduce. It was one to show how much she loves me, and I flattened my lips, fighting the urge to cry. Y/N wrapped me in her arms. 

"It's okay, baby. We're okay."

I clung tighter to her, but that's when she disappeared into pieces. 

I dreamed of her almost every night. For months, I barely ate, I barely talked to anyone, I barely did anything. I just couldn't. Breathing felt like sin.

At first, the whole school mourned for her death. They became aware of Voldemort's possession and forgave her for what she did. Amber, when she heard the news, broke down. Hermione spent days and nights at the library, searching through books to reverse the curse and find a way to get her back. Kyle didn't show himself.

But when birds began chirping around and the world turned lively green, people moved on. There were smiles and laughter again. They moved on, moved on without me. 

I was still prisoned in the agony of that cold February night. 

"I knew I would find you here." I could almost hear someone's voice echoing from behind faintly.

"Draco Malfoy."

"..."

"Draco!" Someone grabbed my shoulder and forcefully turned me around. I thought the voice was in my head but it was really a person. 

"You should stay away from that mirror. You've been staring at it for months." Kyle warned.

"...It's none of your business." I replied blankly and turned back to stare into the mirror where I could see Y/N smiling at me. I just couldn't take my eyes off of her.

"I'm here as your friend! Get a hold of yourself!" Then Kyle punched my face. 

"Ouch! That hurt!" I growled at him.

"Your desire is intense and emotionally charged. It could be dangerous and you're already drowning in it..." Kyle yelled back at me and paused. 

"You know Y/N wouldn't have wanted you to be like this." Silence followed.

"...Oh, yeah? So she would have wanted me to move on just like how easily you and everyone else has?" I muttered bitterly.

"Come on–"

"You! You say it like it's so easy!" I grabbed Kyle's collar and glared at him. 

"People like you keep telling me that life goes on and to me! To me... that's the saddest part." I tightened my grasp and emotions that I've been constantly killing exploded out.

"Where she used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night." My lips were trembling and my grip loosened.

"...I miss her like hell." Tears filled my eyes and Kyle shoved off my hand.

"I miss her, too!" Kyle pushed me.

"You can't be any more selfish. Just because I am brave enough to accept what happened and not muck around like you does not mean I don't feel devastated!"

"What did you just say? Muck around?"

"Draco, I–" Kyle sighed.

"You think I'm mucking around?" At that instant, anger got hold of me. I wasn't the master of myself anymore. Anger was.

"Draco, no!" Kyle shouted as I pulled my wand from my robe. He also put his hand in his robe to take out his but I quickly disarmed him.

"Expelliarmus!" Then I darted towards him, pushed him over onto the ground and pointed the tip of my wand at his neck.

"I killed her! I killed her with this wand. And you will never!" My wand prodded his neck more.

"Never understand this feeling of guilt and how hard I've been trying to fight it!"

Then somebody screamed at us.

"Will you two idiots stop!" Hermione sprinted towards us and pushed me away from Kyle. I fell and hit the floor. I stayed still, staring at the floor blankly with a tear slowly running down my face.

"Hermione, where have you been? You weren't around for a while."

"Yeah, I asked Professor McGonagall if I could visit my parents for some family stuff and she allowed me to. Had to work extra hard to take all the exams in advance but it was worth it." Then she took a deep breath.

"I need to tell you guys something." Hermione spoke firmly. "I didn't leave to visit my parents."

"What do you mean?" asked Kyle.

"I went to see someone else hiding in the muggle world." Hermione replied.

"Who?" Kyle asked and I slowly lifted my head to look at her.

"Rolf Scamander, grandson of Newt Scamander," Noticing the confused look on Kyle, Hermione added. "A wizard." 

Then she turned to me. "I think we found a way." My breathing stopped. She could not be suggesting that...

"We might be able to bring her back."