Chapter 45: Don't leave me alone

– Draco's pov –

I escorted Y/N through the manor, up to her room next to mine. It was a long silence except for the sounds of our footsteps. My heart never stopped beating. I was so confused and I wanted to ask her about everything but she just didn't seem like herself right now.

"Y/N, this is your room... make yourself comfortable." It was so weird saying this. Everything was weird about it. Y/N was in my house, being served like a great "highness" all of a sudden. 

But as soon as those words left my mouth, Y/N looked around warily and broke her silence.

"Draco," She then dragged me into her room hurriedly. Her face was neither a cold nor blank one anymore. She was back. Y/N was back. As the door shut behind us, she flung her arms around me and hugged me tightly, trembling. 

"Y/N..." I sighed and hugged her back.

"Oh, Draco. I missed you." Y/N spoke as she touched my face. Her startling eyes stared straight into mine. 

"Y/N, what happened? Why... why are you here? You shouldn't be. You're not sa -" I blurted out with my thoughts unorganised, then Y/N interrupted.

"Shh. They might hear us." Her voice was alert.

"Who's 'they'? Y/N, what has happened?" I asked worriedly, lowering my voice.

"The death eaters and... you-know-who." She seemed terrified.

"...Is he the one who took you?" I hoped she would say no but...

"Yeah..." Shit.

"I was forced to follow his commands. I heard his voice and I... just couldn't help but do as he wanted. I don't know how he did that but my memories since I last saw you in that Triwizard stadium are completely erased... I gained back my consciousness this afternoon right before you came. It's like... I blinked my eyes and I suddenly find myself in this... completely different place." Y/N explained cautiously. 

"So you've been... you've been pretending..?" I was referring to her previous cold manners.

"Yes... Before you came, I heard your father talk with... him and it seems like I am not supposed to ever come back to myself." Y/N added.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"They were talking about casting this... I don't know exactly what it is but this spell on me, which is to supposedly make me become their... puppet. And I mean forever." She seemed really anxious.

"'forever'? Then, how did you..." Then I remembered something and we whispered at the same time.

"You're an Allorant." "I'm an Allorant."

"I think the spell can wear off for an Allorant, I mean that's the only possible explanation and... they don't know about this. They cannot know about this. Draco... what am I gonna do?" Y/N then flopped into a couch, burying her face in her palms. I walked to her, kneeling down to face her.

"Y/N, look at me. We will find out what he wants from you and I'll do whatever it takes to get you out of this shithole." I grabbed her hands gently. When she took her hands off her face, I could see tears in her eyes.

– y/n's pov –

When Draco said that, I felt guilty. Guilty for not telling him about my conversation with Krum months ago; guilty for not telling him about the "Merging"; guilty for not telling him about the potential, imminent danger it was posing. I hesitantly opened my mouth.

"...Actually, I know what he wants. He wants to become invincible. He wants to... merge my powers with his, to become... one with me." When I finished my sentence, Draco seemed shocked. 

"And... since when did you know about this?" There were hints of horror and frustration in his eyes. I couldn't answer him.

"Y/N, speak." Draco frowned.

"...Last day of Christmas break." I spoke, avoiding his eyes.

"Who told you?" Draco asked further.

"...Krum." I hesitantly mentioned the name, which led to a short silence. Draco seemed extremely upset.

"And you... you didn't care to tell me?" It was heartbreaking to see that face on him. He stared at me, seemingly disappointed.

"I... I didn't want to believe that it's true. I was scared, Draco. Please... I'm sorry." I spoke pleadingly and he sighed.

"Y/N, I want you to know that I want to help you, that I'm here for you. Allow me to help you, please." His voice was now sad.

"Yea- yeah, of course I know, Draco..." Then I told him everything about the Merging that I heard from Krum.

"So... you are his key to impenetrable power, which makes you so important to him that all death eaters serve you like his heir and that's why you can call my father by his name. Also, when the Merging is fully completed, you also get that power and you two become like... one. If he dies, you die and vice versa. Is that right?" Draco encapsulated to me and he seemed to perfectly understand the Merging.

"Do you know when the Merging would be taking place?" He asked carefully and I shook my head.

"No, but I'm sure that it's not going to happen soon. He said he's still pretty weak and accordingly, the rite can only succeed when two sorcerers are at their most powerful states. Before he fully regains his power, your family is to look after me. That's why I'm here." I replied. Then I grew so scared.

– Draco's pov –

"...Will there be a way out of this, Draco?" Y/N's voice cracked.

"Just keep pretending for now. Don't let them know and, in the meantime, we'll figure something out. I promise." I kissed her forehead softly.

"Well... I'll let you rest for a bit now before dinner. I'll be right next door so when you need me, just knock." Then I got back on my feet and walked towards the door. But then when I grabbed the doorknob to leave the room, she hugged me from behind and muttered.

"Please... don't leave me alone."