Chapter 30: Sad Champion

– y/n's pov –

The mad crowd cheering from outside the tent sent chills down my spine. 

"Y/N, haven't talked to you in a while. How do you feel?" Cedric approached me and spoke in a concerned voice as he spotted me sitting on the Champion seat restlessly.

"Feels like I'm dreaming." I chuckled nervously.

"I'm sorry." said Cedric.

"Oh, so you do trust me. Thank you." I was getting tired of everyone's glares who assumed I was lying when I said I didn't put my name in the Goblet of Fire.

 "I wish you all the best of luck, Y/N, I really do." Cedric's sincerity calmed down my nerves slightly but for an instant, Draco's "good luck" replayed in my head and my mind got more complicated. The Triwizard tournament, Draco... Neither seemed to be giving me clear answers to my questions.

"Y/N..?" 

"Oh! Yea. Sorry, I was zoning out haha... Thanks, Cedric. Good luck to you too." I awkwardly replied.

After Cedric left to give me some space, I closed my eyes to concentrate on all the learnings and advices that I received from Professor Moody. 

Cast the summoning spell, bring my broom. 

"Y/N,"

Fly over the Dragon's head, bait it. 

"Y/N?"

When it lunges, swoop down and...

"Y/N!"

"Huh?" I was too caught up in my thoughts to hear someone calling my name. When the distant voice got clearer, I looked up and saw Krum standing beside me.

"If you are here to discourage me again, now's not the good time. Leave me alone." I sighed and closed my eyes.

"I'm just- Y/N, good luck today." Krum mumbled.

"What?" I looked back up at him.

"Good luck with your task. Don't get hurt." 

At the very moment, I saw Draco. I hoped it was Draco. I must be crazy. Do I like him? No. He's a selfish prick.

I nodded to Krum in response. He walked away and I was left alone again. The game was to  start in any minute and I began feeling terrified. Then I recalled the faces of my parents, my friends, and... Draco.

"For god's sake, why do I keep seeing him?" I let out a low groan and bent down to rest my eyes on my palms, arms supported on my knees. Then I heard his voice talk to me.

"What do you mean?"

"I must be crazy." I continued looking down. It was when Draco crouched down and tapped me on my shoulder that I realised I was actually seeing the person in real life.

"Y/N?"

"Oh, my god. Why are you here? You're not supposed to be in the tent!" I whisper-shouted at him and he chuckled.

"Uh... just checking on you as your... flying tutor?" spoke Draco. But my face turned cold at his words with my convoluted mind.

"Thank you, but you're no longer my flying tutor and I don't need you checking on me." When I blurted out, he seemed disturbed.

"Well, you should leave the tent now." At my words, Draco quietly rose from his crouch-down position and reluctantly turned to the exit of the tent. Before he walked out and disappeared, he looked back at me and our eyes met from across the space. We nodded to each other. 

"Y/N performs a similar trick as Harry Potter's! She swoops down and... fetches the golden egg! She did it! And sets an exceptionally fast record! She wins 41 points! Which place is it?" The crowd gasped and cheered madly.

"1st place...! Y/N wins the 1st place! She beats Viktor Krum and Harry Potter who are tied on 40 points!"

"Congratulations, you were pretty impressive... I -" Krum talked to me politely and sincerely when I entered the tent after successfully accomplishing my first task. I couldn't believe what just happened. I not only beat the dragon and finished the task but won the 1st place. 1st place!!!

"How dare you underestimate an Allorant, Krum,"  I chuckled.

"just kidding. I can't believe it and... thank you. You did an amazing job, too." At my words, Krum seemed relieved and gave me a soft smile.

"Y/N!" Then Cedric ran to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Cedric!" I hugged him back in joy. I was so thrilled and it felt unreal. Also, I was so relieved that I didn't get injured by the "danger" that Krum warned me about. Then suddenly, there was a flash fired towards us.

"Hello, hello! Y/N Lascelles hugs her boyfriend Cedric Diggory after her triumph in the first task of the grand Triwizard tournament! How lovely." A blonde lady with heavy-jawed face was standing next to a camera. As she spoke, magically flying quill was filling out an empty note paper.

"Excuse me, who are you?" I was disturbed.

"My name is Rita Skeeter, Daily Prophet reporter. How does it feel to have won the 1st place? Sharing the glory with your lover?" The lady then began making up this whole  love story that involved Cedric and myself. It was quite absurd what she was doing and somebody else was feeling the same.

"Harry Potter is in Hospital Wing, injured. Some exciting news, isn't it?" Draco was glaring at the lady, leaning against the tent entrance with his arms folded.

When I saw him, I felt like running up to him and hugging him just like how I just hugged Cedric as a friend. No deeper meaning but at the same time... I didn't want to. I didn't want to admit that we had been nothing to each other. I didn't want to deny all the chemistry, the adrenaline I had felt with him.

When Draco saved us from that freaky reporter, Cedric thanked him but I just silently walked past him out of the tent. I was so happy but all of a sudden, furious. I was furious at myself for not being able to organise my thoughts and control my emotions, and at Draco for being the cause.

There was a celebration in the common room, but I wasn't in the partying mood so I let myself to be celebrated a bit and left the crowd early to my dorm room. 

Time flew and it was the day of the second task. Until this day, there was no interaction between me and Draco. I simply chose to ignore him to escape from this convoluted mind of mine and he seemed to be allowing me space. Thanks to Cedric, though, because he helped me find out about what I had to do in advance and I could prepare for it. 

Merpeople. When I heard about them, I was excited because I always had this fantasy of being a mermaid. But when I learned about them, that fantasy was dismantled into pieces. 

I asked Hermione, Amber, and anyone trustworthy to help me come up with an idea to complete the task. I did a lot to get myself ready and I was ready. I mean that's what I thought until what happened that day...