Chapter 55: The Strange Prisoner

– y/n's pov –

Hogwarts was really weird since I recovered from getting hit by a bludger (according to Hermione). Everyone looked at me like they'd seen a ghost and there were whispers all around. I simply chose to ignore them because I knew perfectly well how dramatic they could be about little things.

The castle was generally a bit darker with Dumbledore being away for this... business trip and I heard that recently death eaters tried to invade Hogwarts. But I believed in our Professors' ability to protect us so didn't worry much about it.

All our classes were now primarily focused on Defence Against the Dark Arts and I knew I shouldn't be too happy about it but I loved it. I'd always been the top of the class when it came to this subject and I mean it was pretty fun.

Two monotonous weeks had passed, and it was beginning to get especially unexciting and tedious with all Quidditch matches being cancelled "since now is not a very good time to be outside with death eaters and dementors hovering outside" as Professor McGonagall announced.

The curfew was now 8 p.m. like seriously..? and they wanted to lock us up in our common rooms for our safety. Of course, I loved it so much that one night, I broke the rule and sneaked out. I'd always had a night walk right before the curfew and I just missed that so much. I missed the fresh air embracing my skin. I hadn't caught a sight of a single dementor out the windows before so... I waited for everyone to fall asleep.

It was 1 a.m. A bit late, but I didn't want to get caught. I slowly walked out of my dorm with a lamp from my bedside table and tiptoed out to the common room. When I opened the main door, it made a creaking sound so I flinched and hid behind one of the couches in case I'd woken up somebody. But soon, silence fell and I swiftly darted out the common room.

I should have brought a thicker jacket. Midnight corridor was barely lit and it felt colder. Since the Slytherin common room is located in the dungeons, it gave me the weird creepy feelings as well.

I hurried my steps to leave the dungeons. The thought of being alone in a long dark corridor started to scare me a bit... 

Then suddenly, I heard something faintly from a distance. I gasped and stopped. The sound was coming from one of the passages linked to the corridor. Nobody, not even Amber, told me about what lie at the end of the passages before.

Then I heard the sound again. This time it was clearer, and... it was someone's voice. I stood still with all my senses fixed on the origin of the sound. Then there it was again and... it sounded like someone was casting a spell. 

My heart began racing. The thing is I couldn't tell if it was out of excitement or nervousness; it's just that the next moment, I found myself already walking down the passage.

The passage was quite narrow and extremely dark. I could hardly see what was in front of me and I walked carefully with only a small range of vision allowed from the lamp I was carrying. 

Then... I almost fell. Staircase..? I sighed in relief, tightly grabbing the handrail. At the end of the passage was a spiral stairway leading down. I didn't know that we could go further down from the dungeons. 

The mumbling voice was now really close and I had become certain that somebody was practicing a spell somewhere down there. I gulped and cautiously descended the stairs. When I reached the floor... I had to swiftly hide behind one of the columns that was sticking out from the wall.

What is that? Who... who is that? My breathing got heavier and I sneaked a look at what I'd just seen. 

It was a cell. I gasped. There was a cell at the end of the dimly lit corridor and... someone was in there. I continued peeking. But the cell seemed rather weird; it looked comfortable somehow. It looked exactly the same as my dorm room with a bed except that it had bars around. 

The person locked up in the cell was sitting on the bed with a... is that a book? He was staring down at a book with his wand in one hand. Strange...

My heart continued pounding but somehow it just didn't feel wrong to be there. Still, there was a prisoner only meters away and I didn't want to get into trouble so I turned around to go back up. But as I fast-walked, I accidentally hit my lamp hard against the handrail of the staircase. 

CRASH!

I gasped. It created a piercing noise that echoed through the corridor. Great. The lamp was broken and the glass pieces blew off the light. But the worse thing was...

"Who's there?" The prisoner yelled. I stopped dead and almost forgot to breathe. 

"Show yourself before I force you to." The voice growled but... it wasn't that threatening. The voice was young. I turned around and walked towards the cell. As I got closer, he rose from his bed and approached near the bars...

"...Hello?" I was now standing in front of the prisoner with only the bars in between us. It was really strange. The prisoner was a boy, seemingly around my age. What was really strange was when he saw me, his eyes widened and...

"...Y/N?" he knew who I was. The boy had a beautiful platinum blond hair and his silver eyes were quite... enchanting. He seemed harmless. Who is he? Why is he here?

"Who are you?" I might be wrong but it seemed like a sudden sad look fell on the boy's face for a second... It's probably the dim lighting. 

"Hello..?" 

The boy didn't say a word. He seemed stunned; he just stood there staring straight back at me. 

"...I'm Draco," He at last broke the silence, holding his hand out through the bars. 

"Draco Malfoy." The boy told me his name and... I'd heard the name somewhere before. I just couldn't remember where.

"Hi... Draco." I stared at his hand and hesitantly grabbed it.

When my hand touched his, I felt a tingling sensation that spread all over my body. I quickly let go of his hand.

"...Why do I feel like I know you?"