- chapter 25 • never the same -

a/n: heyo, before this chapter starts off, I will say it might start off bumpy. I am having a brain block.. system error.

•••

It's almost been a year since Bokuto and Akaashi met each other, interacted with each other. They both dearly missed each other's touch, voice, personality, but they were both oblivious.

Bokuto's volleyball career flew down, mostly due to the injury he got, which he knew affected his whole life. He only studied now, he was hanging on by a strand now, trying hard to not be kicked out of college.

Each day moved slower and slower, it was the same record on repeat. Lectures, study, strain his eyes and mental health. He tried, he tried everything. Nothing worked, why can't he get over him? Oh, it was because he loved him.

Love doesn't even describe any type of affection he had for Akaashi, his heart was empty, only would be filled with the person he loved. He was touched starved, he wanted the warm skin on his. Why can't he?

~

"Life sucks ass." Bokuto leaned back in the chair, every drop of enthusiastic was drained out.

"Tell me about it.." Kuroo croaked out.

"Sometimes death seems nice, doesn't it?" Bokuto spun around in the chair.

"Don't fucking talk like that Bo." Kuroo eyed him.

"Joke.." Bokuto hastily said, stopping the chair abruptly. Bokuto pulled his phone out, scrolling through some unknown chats.

"I don't like it when you say that.." Kuroo crossed his legs. "You know.. I'm really worried about you Bo, I mean.. all your energy seems to be drained nowadays." Kuroo sighed.

Bokuto didn't respond.

"Okay, just don't respond to your best friend." Kuroo rolled his eyes.

Bokuto stopped scrolling, his eyes unfocused. "I'm sorry." He whispered, "I'm sorry my enthusiasm is gone.. but don't the happy people get to be sad? I can't keep that act on forever.. I don't want to be the happy, energetic, humorous friend when I don't even feel that way.. you know?" Bokuto tilted his head and focused his eyes on Kuroo.

Kuroo didn't respond, he didn't know how to respond. Is this how he always felt?

"Is that how you've always felt..?" Kuroo questioned.

"No.. of course those feelings will always be genuine! I love being the happy friend cheering people up.. but I want a friend like that. I don't just want to give anymore.." Bokuto spun more in the chair.

The other boy sat there, no words came out of his mouth.

Bokuto sighed, "I know that's hard to respond to, stop thinking about it." Bokuto smiled a bit. Kuroo exhaled and fell face first onto the bed.

Kuroo let out a muffled sigh and flipped upwards, titling his head he asked, "Wanna tell me everything?" He cracked a smile.

"You know.. that would be nice Kuroo." He smiled a bit, jumping onto the bed.

"Just don't cry dude.." Kuroo laughed a bit, straighten his posture.

They both sat on the bed with their legs crossed under themselves, backs against the wall, both staring at the other side of the room.

"I guess.. I'll start.." Bokuto chuckled. Kuroo nodded and curved a smile. "First of all.. this is really awkward.." Bokuto laughed, Kuroo let out a hyena laugh.

"You know.. it is!" Kuroo laughed, Bokuto giggled along.

Bokuto huffed and intertwined his own fingers together, fidgeting with his nails. "Honestly, I feel drained. All of this.. it's like I'm being vacuumed up. Even if he did come back, I don't think I'll ever change back to my original self.. I mean look at me!" He laughed a bit, lifting up his shirt to reveal the bandages.