Chapter 1 - How the hell do you pronounce this word?!

I stared up at my ceiling, a long drawn sigh escaping my mouth. A dark blue bathed my room, following different lights attacking my wall through the curtains. Finally, my phone's alarm went off. My head snapped to it. Instead of pressing snooze or stopping it, I hummed along with the soft tune.

Getting out of bed, I headed over to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I stared at myself in the mirror and attempted to ignore my hair. Instead, my eyes landed on a pimple near my eyebrow.

"Damn it." I mumbled, "Bastards come out of thin air."

Rinsing my mouth and splashing my face, I put the toothbrush down and went back into my room. I put on my beige knit long sleeved shirt, black leggings and black flats. After I put cocoa butter on my skin, I went back to the mirror.

"What am I going to do with you today?" I asked my hair, suddenly becoming irritated, "It's always a battle to tame these damn curls..."

Grabbing a band, I undid the messy braids and put my hair up into a bun. I then took my phone, stopped the alarm and slipped it into my pocket. I closed my room door and went down the hallway. "Mom!" I called out as I knocked on her door, "I need ten!" I heard a mumble on the other side. After about two minutes, the door knob rattled and slowly opened. "Here." she tiredly mumbled as she handed me two fives, the door screeching as she leaned on it.

"Thank you." I took them out of her hand and kissed her cheek, "I'm out now, love you!"

Five minutes later, I arrived at the train station. The familiar cry of a buzzer went off and I rushed over to a machine, my irritation increasing ten fold at how long the line was.

The Q train to Manhattan then pulled up into the station. By the time it left, I was next in line and off to a bad start of my day. About fifteen minutes later, another Q pulled up into the station. I squeezed my way inside the car and glanced at the time: 7:46. As I grabbed on to the pole, the train jerked forward. My hand dove for the it, but someone's hand clasped onto that spot, causing me to tumble into someone beside me.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologized.

The young woman rolled her eyes and went back to what she was doing, probably playing Candy Crush. My head snapped to the person who put his hand in my spot. He looked at me with apologetic eyes, so I brushed it off and tried to balance myself until the next stop. After the next stop, I was able to find a decent spot and grab on to something. More people piled in, causing everything to be extremely uncomfortable. My eyes flashed over to the time: 7:51.

"Use all available doors!" the train conductor's voice boomed through the intercom, "There's a train directly behind this one! Stand clear of the closing doors!"

My ass.

Meeting the eyes of people who unfortunately couldn't make it on, I glanced to the time once more: 7:53. "Due to an investigation at Dekalb Avenue, all B and Q trains will be going on the R line." shouted the train conductor over the intercom. This couldn't get any worse, the train is going local.

By the time I arrived at school, it was almost 9:00. School started at 8:20. I put my phone in the phone truck and glanced at the ridiculous line that stretched across the block. I scoffed and squeezed my way to the front. Just when I was about to get in, a security guard pulled me out and sent me to the back.

I caught the gaze of some of my friends, and just as I was about to go to them, another security guard caught me.

After more than an hour, I was finally at the door. It took another twenty minutes to go through scanners, and then I took the stairs to the sixth floor.

In New York City, small new schools are being crammed into buildings. My school, being one of them, took a floor in a building that has eleven. Because we have to go through scanning and freshmen don't have their ID, the line is always ridiculously long for the first month or more.

"Hey!" greeted Gina, the front desk lady. She handed me my schedule and told me to hurry off. I analyzed it, anticipating who will be in my classes. One thing stood out to me. I made a U-turn and showed it to Gina. "Gina. What's this?"

I pointed at my schedule and she squinted her eyes. "I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at."

"It says... I have... Tey... Tae..." I muttered. "Oh! Don't worry about that, just go to class." She said looking past me. I followed her gaze to a bunch of students that got off of the elevator and were headed towards us. "Erhm, okay." I said and folded my schedule.

Since I missed first and second period, which were AP English and physics, I had graphic design. I walked into the classroom and sat down, returning greetings to those who threw one my way. "Len, why are you sitting alone?" asked Farrah, a friend of mine. "Oh, I honestly planned on sleeping. It's not like we'll be doing anything today." I said with a shrug. "You're right, but at least sit with us. Come on, don't be a bum." Smiling, I picked up my bag and plopped down next to her. Farrah, Will and Darren shot a hello my way. "What do you have?" asked Darren as he pulled out his schedule.

I unfolded mine and we all began to compare ours. "Okay, so we have AP English, graphic design and Mandarin together." said Farrah, "Not that bad, right?"

"We have physics and Taekwondo together." said Will, his eyebrow arching, "Says his name is Min, this better count as a gym credit."

"Taekwondo?" I parroted, "I've never heard of that." Will shrugged and pulled out his iPad. "It says... Oh damn." he whistled and showed it to me. Darren leaned on me and Farrah stood up to get a better look. "Taekwondo..." muttered Darren, "The way of the hand and foot...?"

"That sounds like some Karate crap." sighed Farrah, "Thank goodness I don't have it."

"Go on YouTube, let's see some videos." I chimed in.

"Okay, let me turn my VPN on." We all stared at the iPad as Will typed in the search bar. A ton of videos popped up. Tapping the first one, we all gasped as a woman jumped high into the air as she spun and broke a wooden board.

"Okay, this looks awesome." said Will, his eyes sparking in admiration.

"Do you guys really think you'll be able to do this? Be realistic, you'll probably have the class dropped next semester anyways."

We all looked at Farrah and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I always hated how she thought she was "Queen Bee". Farrah is cool and all, but she can be a complete ass at times, and every time she had one of her moments, I would hold myself back from wanting to punch her in the face.

"What?" she snapped, "I mean look at that! That lady has like a red belt on, like come on. And plus, this looks so fake."

"You shouldn't worry about it since you don't have that class." I responded with great annoyance. "Len has a point there, Fa. Just chill, and this looks far from fake." added Darren. She shrugged her shoulders and looked at her perfectly manicured nails. Sighing, I put my head down and waited for the sound of chairs scraping against the floor to wake me up.