Yejun III

"Ah, you shouldn't drink so much." said Cheolmin as I raised the shot glass to my lips. "Aish Yejun, put it down."

I downed it and went to pour another. Cheolmin grabbed the soju and put it to his lips. I only wished my glare could end him right now. He finished bottle after bottle and now he's coming after mine. His burp caused me to roll my eyes and look away.

I stared off at the streets of Incheon.

People busily continued on with their lives while I stood here drinking my heart away. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw the picture of my late mother staring at me. Every time I inhaled, I smelled the incense used at the funeral. Every time I heard a sound, I imagined the cries of family and very close friends.

Cheolmin's sobs. Jaewon's pleads. My father's heavy breathing.

The woman who approached me saying she was to wed me. I tightened my fists and angrily yelled out.

"Umma wouldn't like to s-"

"Umma is dead!" I yelled as I slowly looked at him, "You will be too if you don't fuck off."

Before I knew it, my back went flying against the railing. Cheolmin stood over me as his eyes dangerously stared down. "Watch who you're talking to like that."

Anger rose in me as I tried to calm myself down. He's my older brother, how could I talk to him like that? I held his eyes and sighed. "I'm sorry Hyung." Cheolmin gave me a hand and helped me up. He patted my back again and left me alone on the balcony.

"Hello." I didn't bother to look over. I didn't recognize the voice and wasn't in the mood to hear anymore pointless condolences. I stayed silent and saw her bow in my peripherals.

"Oppa... I understand we have not met before, and I apologize to bring this up... But I am your soon to be wife." My head sharply turned to her.

I reserved the title of 'Oppa' for Len in the later future. Hearing it come from someone else not only angered me, but made me think about what she just said. Soon to be wife?

Her long dark brown hair was in a tight bun. She wore simple make up, a white blouse, black skirt and black shoes. Her thigh gap was enough to make me look away. She's the ideal Korean woman- pale, beautiful and innocent looking. But she isn't my type.

I stayed silent. "I-I..." she mumbled as she sighed, "As your soon to be wife, I believe we should get to know each other." I looked over at her in disgust. Is she crazy? She has the wrong person, I'm not engaged.

"Soon to be wife?" Her eyes roamed to the picture of Umma and back to me. "Yes. My name is Choi Haeun." I scoffed and turned away from her. This cannot be happening. As soon as I was about to walk away, she grabbed my arm. I looked back at her in utter annoyance.

"Please, I don't want to make this harder on you." she sobbed as she covered her mouth. Tears constantly welled in her eyes and I sighed. Is this woman mad? I won't marry someone I don't love.

"I will not marry you." I responded coldly.

"...it's your mother's dying wish."

My heart instantly constricted in my chest. If it's her last wish then... "Do you not know? Our marriage will bind our family together. It's what's best for my family's company and for you and your father's title. My family produces Taekwo-"

"Choi Haeun, how long did you know of this?"

"For two years now." I stared off at the picture of my mother. Although her eyes held the kindness I've known all of my life, her face held no emotion. Umma, you've arranged this for two years and never told me? How could you do this? Is this why you've been so kind to me? Was it all for money?

I looked over at the Korean girl beside me. How could I marry her when I love Len? An internal dilemma brewed inside of me. This is a marriage strictly for power. If I marry her, will I be able to return to the United States?

Len.

"I can't." I whispered.

She sighed and shook her head. "You're not the only one... I have to break up with my boyfriend because of this. Do you not underst-"

"I understand, but what you don't understand is I don't care about my family. My mother is gone, my youngest brother attends college next year."

Haeun's eyes stared up at me as if they were purely innocent. "You cannot break a contract." A contract?! "Who signed it?!"

"Your mother."

I instantly backed away. My mother? My own mother signed me away two years ago?! No matter what, I wouldn't have had a say. It's a contract. My eyebrows furrowed as I turned away from her and pushed through the double doors.

A contract.

I ran outside and pushed through the busy crowds. Everything felt disorienting. Blinding colors flew through my vision as my body moved on its own accord. People reached out to me, but I shrugged them off. I finally sat down on a bench and watched the sky. All this time my mother hated me. She only loved me to marry me off for money.

I blinked my tears back and took deep breaths. I have no choice, I have to end things with Len.

My heart painfully throbbed at the memory. The only person I ever looked up to never loved me. What did I do that was so wrong? Was it because I left the national team? Is that why my mother did this to me? I opened my phone and went through the pictures.

I stared at my lover's sleeping face. I wanted to caress her skin and feel her all over again, but I can't. I would always look forward to feeling her curls and tasting her coconut lips, but not anymore.

Never have I ever felt this hollow. My own mother used me, and now I have to abandon the only person who truly loves me. I placed my hand on the Rolex as my eyes stared down at the streets.

If I were to hop over now, would I die? Would I even be able to face my mother? I turned away from the balcony and staggered to the ground.

It's either do or die, and I'm too afraid to die.

--

The picture's Cheolmin!