Chapter 14 - Flatbush Shenanigans

The squad and I hung out at least three times a week. Yejun understood I needed to spend time with my friends, but that didn't stop us from calling and texting each other. Aimee didn't press on about the scarf, or her suspicions about us. I still was weary around her. Although I tried to avoid Alaric, he eventually talked to me after Government. Andrews was in the class, but he sat down reading articles on his Mac.

"I noticed you've been avoiding me lately." said Alaric as I gathered my things. Because we were working on a project, I volunteered to clean up our mess. It happened to be a lot, and Alaric ended up doing the same for his. I dropped something and gasped when Alaric bent down to get it for me. My hands trembled as he got back up and placed the pen on the table. "I'm not your enemy Len."

I wanted to avoid his eyes, but once I looked up at him, it was over. "So now that I have your attention, I want you to answer my question." He looked back at Andrews and then to me, "Are you dating Master Min?" I felt my heart pound and shook my head. "We're only close because I'm interested in Taekwondo. I ask him for advice and he helps me improve my kicks, which is why I help out now." I lied through my teeth.

I imagined this conversation many times and reenacted it in my head. I know just what to say. "Then why did you overreact when we were at Da Wong's? You're hiding something, you know you can't lie to me." Tightening my fists, I gathered the rest of the scraps and threw it away. "I'm not hiding anything. Though you are quite sus nowadays." 

"How am I sus? You're the one dating..." lowering his voice, he went to my eye level, "Your teacher. How does it feel? Is he better than me? Is he wo-"

"Yo fuckers, don't you have class?" said Andrews. Gathering my things, I looked back at Alaric. "I rejected you because you took too long. Don't you understand how long I had a crush on you? I don't feel anything for you anymore. Stop trying to play investigator and move on." His eyes widened as I told Andrews good bye and left. Thankfully, my class was next door, so Alaric couldn't press on.

Time passed by quickly. The Friday before Christmas break, the squad did a Secret Santa. I handed Liem a grey Assassin's Creed shirt. His smile lit up as he gave me a giant hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, th-"

"Shut the fuck up." I laughed. Kat handed Aimee her gift and Elias handed me mine. I opened it and gave Elias a bear hug. The giant turtle plush was too cute. "This is so cute, thank you!" Elias was too focused on the gift Aimee handed him after our hug to even respond. We all thanked each other and finally school ended. 

'Are you hungry?'

'I don't know.'

'Did u eat lunch?'

'No, but I had a muffin for breakfast.'

'Ok, let's eat ^^'

I swear Yejun is in love with food. We met up in the train station and went to a Korean restaurant in K-Town. "You must think you have money, like these places are so expensive." He smiled and ordered for us. 

"How was your day?" I asked. "It was okay. The juniors are starting to get trig better. I'm almost finished grading their tests. They were horrible in the beginning, but towards November, they began improving. Almost all of them got above an 85. I'm proud of them."

I was shocked. All of the previous trig teachers were horrible, but Yejun fixed that. "How can you teach trig? I mean... I don't know, it's just weird." He rolled his eyes and folded his arms. "You have no faith in me. I'm majoring in math education and minoring in business. I only got this Taekwondo job because my uncle knows your principal." My eyebrows furrowed. How exactly would his uncle know the principal? Yejun rolled his eyes again and continued, "My uncle and your principal went to NYU together. Because my uncle is an alumni, it was easier for me to get in."