Chapter 28 - Soju nights

Ayy, the music really sets the mood for this chapter!

--

I stared at the two envelopes. One was big, and the other was small. That meant there was an acceptance and a rejection.

I picked up the small one first. It was from Stony Brook. Of course they'd reject me, it's so competitive to get into. Knowing what was inside already, I opened it and read the rejection.

"Thanks anyways..." I muttered as I grabbed the acceptance.

SUNY Potsdam. I opened it and stared at the pamphlet of the clock tower. Not going to lie, it was beautiful. I grabbed the other acceptances and compared the amount of money the school was giving me.

So Goucher was giving me only $10,000 a year, yet everything together is like $50,000 a year. This college would put me into so much debt. The opportunities are nice and all but... Sighing, I put it to the side and picked up the other ones.

No matter how bad I want to leave the city, going to a CUNY would be the cheapest option. Growing up in the city, I never had the "true high school experience". Not a lot of high schools here have their own parking lots, football fields, swimming pools, etc..

So what will my decision be? Should I choose a private, SUNY or CUNY? If I choose a private or SUNY, I'll be away from my family, squad, Yejun and end up paying way more. If I go to a CUNY, I'll end up staying with everyone and pay less.

Yejun even said I could stay with him.

I rubbed my temples. This is frustrating. The answer is right in front of me, but it's just hard. All this time I had a game plan laid out, and now I'm going against it. I picked up Hunter College's acceptance and went over it.

Should I?

I squinted my eyes closed. I should. It's cheaper, I can afford it. I might even be able to go for free. I completed my FAFSA back in January, so I know what my package will be like.

If I go to Hunter, I won't have to pay for room and board. I looked at the SUNYs and cringed at the prices of room and board. Even though they're all the same, it's still expensive.

Shaking my head, I put the SUNYs away and looked over Hunter again. What will I be majoring in? I love languages, but would I make money majoring in Chinese language? I'm pretty sure Yejun would hate that.

"Oohh... They don't havee the Koleanu language?" I muttered trying to imitate him.

Maybe I should major in international studies? I want to travel, and I love learning about different cultures. International studies sounds really fun. Maybe I can minor in Chinese language! Does Hunter even have some type of martial arts club?

I suddenly realized how excited I was for this.

I'm excited to declare my major and join clubs, but I've never thought about the academic aspects. Is it true that I'll spend my whole nights studying for exams? I don't want to survive on ramen and junk food, but if I'm living with Yejun, that won't be a problem.

Living with Yejun.

My heart leapt at the thought of living with him. How would things be between us? Will he have to return to Korea? What if he stops teaching? What if Haeun does something to us? I don't want to see her as evil, but I can't see her as the nicest person either.

She's only doing what's best for her company.

I sighed and laid back in my bed. Is this real life? Do I really have to go through shit like this? I ask myself these questions every day, yet I never come up with an  exact answer.