Yejun IV

"I'm so sorry Len... I-I..." She sniffed and continued, "I just want this all t-to be over. I don't want to take Yejun from you, but our families made this deal for almost three years now. I apologize for that... It wasn't me who sent them. It was his father..."

My eyes widened as my phone slowly slipped out of my hand. All this time it was him. All this time, my father was sending hitmen after me.

I've been paranoid these last couple of weeks.

I feel eyes on me, yet when I look, there would be nothing. It's worse when I'm teaching my students. Having so many eyes on me makes me feel paranoid. I should be used to the attention, thousands of people watched me when I competed.

But this is different.

These people aren't out to hurt me because of a title.
They're doing it for money. I just wonder how much my father is paying them. Is it out of Umma's life insurance money? He wouldn't even spend his money on us, that's why things were so hard. Yet Umma loved him dearly.

They met when Abeoji was attending university. Abeoji's family is considered upper middle class, while Umma's is lower middle class. She wanted to go to college, and even with decent grades, she couldn't afford it.

That's when she met Abeoji.

Umma was selling food in Daegu, and he purchased fish cakes from her. He would drive from Incheon just to buy food from her. Soon after, he offered to take her out on a date. Apparently Umma was seeing someone at the time, but because they were having difficulties in their relationship, she agreed.

And then they fell in love.

It upsets me how they had a love marriage and want to force a business marriage on me. It's unfair.

Umma always told me how she wanted me to meet the best woman ever and have beautiful children. I already told her my dream of raising a family of black belts. I never thought she would translate that to marrying someone like Choi Haeun.

I wiped my sweat and picked my phone back up.

"I can't." said Haeun, "It's his mother's dying wish. She's talked to me from young, but officially signed it almost three years ago. I didn't know it was serious until my father told me I would be married to Mr. Min's middle child— Yejun. It's something that's been talked about before my birth. You see, our families are close. Yejun was supposed to go to Yong In University so he could meet me there. It was my job to get close to him, but then the plan faltered when he went to America. His mother tried to convince him not to go, but he already booked the ticket six months in advance."

I found myself downstairs. I put the phone on speaker and grabbed a beer. I instantly chugged it and grabbed another. Throwing the cans away, I grabbed my phone and walked upstairs.

I opened my bottom drawer and pulled out a bottle of soju. Do I really have to drink this? I popped the cork and put the bottle to my mouth. It's sad I tried to hide these from Len by putting them in my drawers.

Pulling it away from my lips, I let out a satisfied sigh. The liquor burned my throat in a familiar, satisfying way.

--

This is obviously a filter lmao. Chapter 29 will be up tomorrow. 💕