Yejun

"Umma! Umma! Look at my belt!" I stared up at my mother with a wide grin. She smiled at my white belt. "You're doing a good job, my little Yejun. I'm so proud of you." Staring down at my belt, it slowly became a yellow belt, then green, then green tip, blue, blue tip... all the way up to black belt.

"On behalf of the World Taekwondo Federation and Choi's Taekwondo Academy, Min Yejun, you are now a first Dan black belt." The Dojang erupted in applause. Master Choi tied the belt around my waist. Once he was finished, we both bowed to each other and I faced the Dojang. I saw Mom with tears in her eyes as she smiled in pride. Jaewon was reading a book and Cheolmin grinned at me. Even though I've accomplished so much for the past three years, my father couldn't be present. He couldn't see me take a three day test to validate whether or not I was ready to become a black belt.

I felt hollow.

Once we all arrived home, I saw Dad sitting in the living room. He was watching an MMA match. I wanted to hurt him. The one time in my life I wanted him to be somewhere, he couldn't make it. Apparently watching an MMA match is more important to him than seeing me get my black belt. Walking to my room, I was tempted to slam the door. My body hit the sheets as the three days of vigorous testing finally caught up to me.

I felt my muscles crying as I bit into my sheet. I was in immense pain. Getting up, I noticed I was limping and took a hot shower.

--

"Come here black belt." I stared at my father in seething rage. He never acknowledged me when I became a first Dan. Now two years later, I'm finally eligible to become a second Dan, yet all he does he mock me. I stood in the same spot, well aware of the later consequences. He called me over again, but I stayed. Walking over, he raised his hand to strike me. As soon as he was about to make contact, I blocked it.

His usual stony face was replaced with shock, then anger. "So you're a man now?" I stayed silent. Mom came downstairs and saw him towering over me. "Yejun, come here." she called. Turning away from him was the worst decision ever.

"Youngchul! How could y..."

I woke up later on in my bed. Mom was at my side and my head was pounding. "Yejun, oh my baby." She reached over to me, but I shrugged her off. "What're you going to say, he loves me? You're both the same." The shock in her eyes didn't register as I turned over. I felt the room spinning. He hit me really fucking hard. I took a deep breath and felt my heart drop once Mom started sobbing. Sighing, I got up and faced her.

"Don't cry." I said after a minute. She wiped her tears and stared down. "I'm so sorry." No matter how sorry she was, it wouldn't change anything. I'm still the black sheep of this family, and I can't even do anything to change it.

--

Leaving Korea was both a blessing and a curse. I was tired of seeing the same thing everyday, I was tired of living with my parents, especially my pitiful excuse of a father. I'm 26 and ready to venture out into the Western wilderness. I faced my crying mother and younger brother.

"Take care of Mom, Jaewon." He faced me, sadness clear in his eyes. "Mom? You're already speaking English. Will you come back?"

"Of course. Don't worry. Soon you'll follow in my footsteps. Don't you plan on going to NYU?" He eagerly nodded and gave me a wide grin. "I'll miss you hyung." I ruffled his hair a bit and he scowled. Facing Mom, I gave her a giant hug. She sobbed in my chest and I tried to shush her. "Umma, I'll be back."

"Yejun, you are the greatest thing that has ever happened to this household." she said as she pulled away from me. I noticed Jaewon seemed to glare at the floor when she said that. It's not a secret Mom favors me, simply because Dad treats me like shit. "I am proud to be your mother. First Minmin left and now you're leaving. Soon, Jaewon will leave me as well. Thank you for not being as reckless as Minmin. He just ran away and got married! My little Yejun is all grown up now. Your father is proud of you, do you know that?"