eight; banished

After dragging Ben to the Slammer, the Med-jacks did their best to bandage up my hands. After getting them bandaged, Alby calls me over.

"Are you alright?"He asks and I just nod my head. "What did he say to you?"

"He- he just started attacking me. Saying that this is all me and Thomas's fault. That I did this to him,"I say, looking at the ground and then back at Alby's eyes. "I don't understand. How is this my fault?"

"It's called The Changing,"Alby says, avoiding my gaze. "It's what happens to a person who got stung by a Griever. They go through a phase, changing them into another person."

"What's gonna happen to him?"I ask.

"He's sentenced for Banishment today at sundown."

sundown

I jogged at a fast pace towards the crowd of gladers gathering around the East door. They were holding what looked like wooden sticks with sharpened ends. Only then, I realised what the word 'banishment' meant.

I see Minho dragging a bloody Ben as he was muttering some words I couldn't quite make out. All I heard was, "Please Minho, Please."

"Alright! Everybody sticks up!"Alby ordered as everyone raised their sticks. "Ben of the Builders, you have been sentenced for Banishment at the attempt of murdering our brother, Thomas, and our first sister, Elizabeth."

"No, please! Just listen to me! It's not me, it's them!"He yelled out, crying and spitting blood. They didn't listen to him. I hear the sound of the doors closing. Everyone started moving to the front, pushing Ben into the door. 

"Ple-"I say softly, taking a step forward to try and stop them but I decided not to, knowing it was no use.

At first, he didn't budge. But when the sticks got closer to him, he moved further back. He was crying and calling out for help. I shut my eyes and the last thing I heard from him was, "WICKED is good,"As his yells were cut off by the doors banging against each other.

It was silent and I didn't realise that I was shaking until Newt wrapped his arms around me. Alby met my gaze. He purses his lips as he says, "He belongs to the maze now."

One by one, everyone walked away, leaving only Newt and I. Newt's thin arms were still wrapped around me and I started crying. It was traumatizing.

Newt pulled me closer to his chest as he nustles his chin on my head. I hug him tight as tears descend down my cheeks. I could hear his silent hushing noises, trying to make me feel better.

"Shh, shh. Hey, it's okay."I hear him say. I hiccup.

"No, it's not okay. It's all my fault."I mumble into his t-shirt that was now stained with my tears.

"No, it's not your fault. He was the one who was going to murder you." Newt let go of me and held my shoulders as he stares into my eyes.

"What if he was right, Newt? That all of this was my fault?"I say, my voice shaking slightly.

He shook his head. "It is no one's fault, okay?"I just nod my head.

"It's just the trauma."I say softly as he nods. I sat against the wall, my back leaning against the stone. Newt takes a seat beside me.

"Newt?"I call him. I heard him hum softly. "Sorry for your shirt."

"Mhm."He hums again. Silence filled us, only our breathing and the sound of the maze changing was heard.

"Hey Newt?"I call him again.

"What is it, Elizabeth?"He asks, closing his eyes. He must be tired.

"Thank you."I say, kissing him on his cheek. His eyes snapped open and I just close my eyes and lean my head on his shoulder.

I felt him hold my hand, giving it a soft squeeze. I interwine our fingers and slowly drifted off to sleep.

-
what do you guys think of newt and elizabeth?