four; story

As all the boys talk with each other naturally and laughing, I sat on the grass. My back was leaning against a wooden log while staring at the doors. Million thoughts raced through my mind. Are we trapped here? Is this the outside or the inside? What is my name? Why can't I remember anything? I asked myself.

"There you are, greenie."A thick British accent cut me off my thoughts. He was smiling at me as he took a seat beside me and our shoulders touching, making me tense a little bit but I relaxed. He takes a gulp of yellow liquid as I stared at him. I turn my head to stare at the door again.

"Losen up, Greenie. Here, put some nice pair of racks on your chest."He handed me the glass of the yellow liquid and I took a gulp, immediately regretting it as I spat it out.

"What the hell is that?"I say, making a disgusted face. Newt laughs as he took back the cup, "None of us know. It's Gally's Recipe. It's a trade secret."

"Yeah, well he's still a butthole."

"He saved your life today."He says, turning towards the huge boy in the circle who was pushing an smaller boy. "Trust me, the maze is a dangerous place."

After a long moment of silence, I spoke up. "We're trapped here, aren't we?"

He shrugs, taking a huge gulp of the liquid. "For the moment,"He says. "But,"He turns and points to a group of people. "See those guys? There, by the fire."

I turn my back and see where he's pointing. "Those are the Runners."He continues. "And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners."He points to a buff, Asian boy.

We make eye contact and he stares at me. I see him lick his lips and smirk a little before he breaks eye contact.

"Every morning when those doors open, they run the maze. Mapping it, memorizing it and trying to find a way out."He says as I continue to look at the group.

I turn my head slightly to face Newt. "How long have they been looking?"

He just stares at my face and says, "Three years."

I furrow my eyebrows. "And they haven't found anything?"

"It's not easier said then done. Listen,"He lifts his finger in the air as I listened. There was a rumbling noise coming from the walls. "That's the maze, changing. It changes every night."

"How is that even possible?"I say in a soft whisper.

He smirks slightly."You can ask the people who put us in here if you ever meet those bloody bastards."

"Listen the truth is, the Runners are the only ones that really know what's out there."He continues. "They're the fastest and the strongest among us all and it's a good thing too."

He points harshly at the stone walls. "Because if they don't make it back before those doors close, then they're stuck out there for the night."

He puts down his finger. "And no one has ever survived a night in the maze."

I blink my eyes as I stare at him taking a drink from his cup. "What happens to them?"

"We call 'em Grievers."He says, his brows furrowed. "Of course no one's ever seen one, and lived to tell about it. But they're out there."

"You seem to know a lot. Are you a Runner?"I ask and I could swear, I saw his face turn a little pale.

He nods, blinking his eyes. "Yeah, I was. Before I got this bloody limp. I hurt myself pretty badly while running the maze. But I managed to run back out before the doors closed. Got this limp though."

I nod my head slowly as thick silence filled the air. I see him stand up. "Alright greenie, that's enough questions for the night. C'mon, you're supposed to be the guest of honor!"He says, smiling at me.

I gave him a small smile before grabbing his hand that was held out and stood up.

-
oh newtie, lying is a sin.