twenty; awake

Following Minho close behind, I took in my surroundings. There were ivys guiding up towards the top. I thought about it, just climbing up and jumping off. Ending this misery of being stuck in here.

I felt a tug on my wrist and looked up to see Thomas. I look in front and saw that they were quite far from us. I must've been distracted, I thought as I follow Thomas, sprinting to catch up to them.

Once we reached the place, I saw mechanical legs sticking out in between the walls. They were all checking it out and I heard Thomas say, "I think there's something in there."

"You mean besides a Griever pancake?"Frypan says. I would laugh, but the tension around us wass serious.

Minho glanced at all of us before reaching in to take the red blinking light. What shocked me was that the Griever's leg moved all of the sudden, causing all of us to jump back. I caught Minho before he fell because he slipped on the slime. "Thanks, Princess."Minho winks, causing me to blush.

Wait what? I would usually roll my eyes at him, why am I blushing now? I thought.

"Was it reflex?"Zart asks. I felt a small smirk rising at the corners of my lips. "You hope."Winston hisses.

"Alright, let's pull it out."Thomas orders. We stood in position, pulling it with all the strength we could muster.

Minho got the thing out and it looked like it was covered by a heart. Gross. Minho reached in the open hole and I gagged a little bit as he wipes off the slime off his fingertips.

"Ugh,"I swallowed back the vomit that was rising up my throat, as disgusting as that sounds.

"What the hell is that?"Thomas, I think, asked.

I looked at him and turned back at Minho. "Might be our first ever clue. That we've found in years."

"Interesting."Minho says as he eyes the tubular object.

"Okay, whatever it is, can we take this up back at the Glade?"Frypan asks timidly. "Because I don't want to meet this guy's friends."

"He's right,"Minho nodded. "It's getting late. Come on."

With that, we ran back to the Glade and went to the meeting shack or whatever they call it. I stood by Thomas and Minho, afraid to look into Newt's eyes.

"We found this."Thomas says, tossing it to Newt. Gally eyes him as he does so, his arms crossed. "It was inside a Griever."

Newt looks at Thomas, then Minho, then me. "These are the same letters we get in our supplies."I could feel his eyes on me as he spoke.

"Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers."Thomas replies.

"This is the first real clue, the first anything, that you've found in over three years. Right Minho?"

Minho nods. "Right."

"Newt, we gotta go back out there."I finally speak up. "Who knows where this might lead us?"

Gally looks at Newt, eyebrows raised higher than usual. "You see what he's doing right? Along with her. First he breaks our rules and then she comes in and tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?"He says, voice raising slightly higher. "If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me. This shank, and shankette, needs to be punished."

"Hey, what the hell did I do, Potato-Nose?!"My voice raised. Gally glares at me while I just groan loudly.

Newt hands the thing back to Thomas. "You're right. Thomas broke the rules."Newt says, agreeing with Gally.

"One night in the pit and no food. Along with you Elizabeth."My head snapped up.

"What the hell did I do?!"I exclaimed loudly. Newt glares at me and says, "You jolly well know what you did. You're our first girl and you went out in the maze despite permission from any of us."

"I got Minho's permission."I mumbled but instantly, our conversation was cut off by Mr. Potato-Nose.

"Oh. Come on, Newt! One night in the pit? Do you think that's gonna stop him, or them, into going into the maze?"Gally protests.

"No."Newt began. "And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it."Thomas nodded his head softly.

"So let's just make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a Runner."He says to Thomas. "And so are you Elizabeth."Newt says, ending everything.

"But I'm a Med-jack-"I began but he cut me off.

"All the other Runners quit their jobs this morning. You're fast and incredibly light. You can move with great ease. Don't you think it's fair to all of us that you replace all the other Runners?"Newt reasons out. I sigh loudly as Gally says, "Wow."before storming out. Frypan, Zart and Winston following soon after.

"Thanks Newt."I heard Thomas say before tugging me out of the room. I followed the two of them, soon asking, "Hey, where are we going?"

"You'll see."Minho replies before the silence came back to take over.

Minho and Thomas brought me to the Map Room. They wanted to show me something. There was a huge table cloth covering a circled desk and papers were strewn everywhere.

Minho pulls off the cloth and I see a pattern of a maze made out of sticks. "What is it?"I asked a stupid question.

Thomas looks at Minho before replying, "The maze."

"All of it?"My eyes travel to the corners of it as the pattern etched into my mind.

"Yeah. All the corners I've traveled. Every single part. There's nothing left to map."

"I've run every inch of it myself. Every cycle, every pattern. If there was a way out, we would've found it by now."Minho spoke.

I shook my head. "Why haven't you told anyone this?"

"It was Alby's call. People needed to believe that we had a chance on getting out."He walks over to me. "But maybe now, we have a real chance."Minho says, handing Thomas the clue.

He let out a deep, long sigh. "Take a look at this."

"About a year ago, we started exploring the outer sections. We found these numbers, printed on the walls."I look at the stones that had numbers painted on it. 

"Section 1 to 8. You see the way it works, every night when the maze changes, it opens up a new section. So today, Section 6 was open. Tomorrow, it'll be 4 then 8 then 3. The pattern always stays the same."

"What's so special about 7?"Thomas asks, finally speaking up.

"I don't know,"Minho replies. "Last night when you killed that Griever, Section 7 was open. I think it might be where it comes from. Tomorrow, you, me and Elizabeth are gonna take a closer look."

I nod my head but I saw Jeff and Clint at the door. "Hey, you're not supposed to be here."Minho speaks up.

"I know, but it's the girl."Clint says, panting. They must've run all the way here.

"What? She awake?"I spoke, my accent still noticeable despite hanging around the boys with non-accents.

"You could say that."Jeff says, a small amused smirk forming on his lips.

-
is this chapter okay? i made it longer for you guys i hope you guys like it. edited again. :-)))))