twenty-five; walls

Newt arrives at the Slammer door, keys in his hands. The metal key and lock jingled; then the door to the cell swung wide open.

"Ain't dead, are ya, shanks?"Newt asked with a small smirk pressed on his lips. "It's your fault if we were dead."I mumble, spitting out the strand of brown hair that was in my lips.

Chuck ran towards us, as if he was being chased by the monsters they call Grievers. "What's wrong, Chuck?"

Chuck was wringing his hands. "Med-jacks sent me."

"Why?"

"I guess Alby's thrashing around and acting all sorts of crazy, telling them he needs to talk to somebody."

Newt wanted to walk towards the infirmary, but Chuck held his hand up. "Um, he doesn't want you."

Newt furrows his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Chuck pointed at the both of us. "He keeps asking for them."

Newt eyes the both of us suspiciously. "Well, come on."Newt said to us as he grabbed the both of our arms, dragging us towards the infirmary. "No way I'm not going with you two."

We followed him, with Chuck right behind, as we left the Slammer and going into the infirmary. Newt took the first step, then gave Chuck a cold glare. "You. Stay."

For once, Chuck simply nodded and said nothing. I figured that something about Alby's behaviour had the kid's nerves on edge.

We walked down the corridor. Sweat slicked my palms, and I felt a drop trickle down my temple. I was afraid to see Alby.

Newt, all grim and solemn, was waiting for the both of us by Alby's room. The memory of Ben made me feel queasy; I hoped Alby was completely healed from the ordeal so I didn't have to witness something like that again- the sickly skin, the veins, the thrashing.

But I expected the worse, and braced myself. I watch the older boy knock lightly on Alby's door; a moan sounded in reply. Newt pushed open the door, the slight creek nearly making me jump.

Newt had stepped into the room and was motioning for us to follow. As we entered the room, all we saw wad a very weak-looking teenage boy lying in his bed, eyes closed.

"Is he asleep?"Thomas whispered, obviously trying to avoid the real question going on in his, as well as my, mind: He's not dead, is he?

"I don't know,"Newt replied quietly. "Alby,"He whispered. Then more loudly: "Alby. Chuck said you wanted to talk to Lizzy and Tommy."

Alby's eyes fluttered open- bloodshot orbs that glistened in the light. He looked at Newt, then across at the two of us. With a groan, he shifted in the bed and sat up, his back against the headboard. "Yeah."He muttered, a scratchy croak.

"Chuck said you were thrashin' around, acting like a lunatic."Nrwt leaned forward. "What's wrong? You still sick?"

Alby's next words came out in a wheeze, as if every one of them would take a week off his life. "Everything's...gonna change...The girl...Thomas...Elizabeth...I saw them..."His eyelids flickered closed, then open again; he sank back to a flat position on the bed, staring at the ceiling. "Don't feel so good."

"What do you mean, you saw-"Newt began.

"I wanted them!"Alby yelled with a sudden burst of energy that I would've thought impossible a few seconds earlier. "I didn't ask for you, Newt! Them! I asked for freaking Thomas and Elizabeth!"

Newt looked up at us, raising his eyebrows. We just shrugged. "Fine, ya grouchy shank."

"They're right here. Talk to them."

"Leave."Alby says, breathing heavily.

"No way- I wanna hear."

"Newt."A pause. "Leave now."

"But-"Newt protested.

"Out!"Alby sat up and yelled. "Get out!"

Newt's face sank in obvious hurt. I was suprised to see no anger there. After a long, tense moment, Newt finally stood up and left the room, slamming the door behind him loudly.

"I know who you are,"Alby said, finally breaking the silence.

My lips were pursed. I didn't know what to say.

"I know who you are,"He repeated slowly. "Seen it. Seen everything. Where we came from, who you are. Who the girl is. I remember the Flare. You were their favourite, Elizabeth."Alby says, looking at me. A teardrop escaped his eye, leaving a wet trail on his cheek.

I was about to ask something, until I hear yelling and screaming. Newt barged into the room. "Hey,"Thomas called Newt.

"What's happening?"I ask the question I knew Thomas was going to ask.

"The walls."Newt started. "They're not closing."

-
the end is near.