three; bonfire

Alby jogs off to another place as I find myself being lost and awkward. It didn't feel like I belonged here. I just stand still, leaning against a tree, staring at the opening.

"Hi there!"A voice startles me. I jump and held my heart, staring at the culprit. It was a chubby boy who looked around 12.

"Gosh, you scared me."I say, frowning. He giggles and says, "Sorry. My name's Chuck!"

My frown turns upside down at his cuteness. "Well, Chuck. I accept your apology. My name is er... I can't remember. Sorry,"I say, making an awkward face.

He laughs and says, "It's okay. We don't remember anything when we come up the box too,"I nod and thick, awkward silence filled the air. 

"You know, I think I have a nickname for you,"I grin. He raised his eyebrows. "You seem to laugh, giggle and chuckle a lot. So I think Chuckles is great,"

He smiles brightly. "Well, they do say that laughter is the best medicine."

"Hey Slopper! Stop talking to the girl greenie and get back to work!"Someone yells at Chuck as he glares at him. Chuck sighs softly before walking away. 

This made me frown. Is it because he's probably the youngest here that he is being treated this way? I think. 

"Hey Chuck!"I call him. He turns to me. "Can you help me tie up a hammock?"I smirk a little.

He nods happily and runs off for me to follow him. He ties it up while talking to me but I wasn't listening, because I was too busy staring at the walls.

He speaks up again, "You're doing better than I did. I klunked my pants three times when I came here."I walked off to go take a closer look.

"Hey!"He yells after me and runs towards me. He tapped my shoulder. 'What are you doing?"

I shrug his chubby hand off. "I just wanna take a closer look."

He was worried as he looks around. "Well, you can look all you want, but just don't go out there."

This made me want to go in there even more. "Why, what's out there?"

He shrugs as he says, "I don't know. I just know that we aren't suppose to leave. Especially not now."

Just when he says that, two boys came out from the entrance as they jogged in a swift pace. "Hey Chuck," One of them says, he was blonde and wore a white shirt. "New greenie huh? How's it feel to be promoted?"

"Feels great, Ben!"Chuck smiles as the two boys ran past. 

I raise my eyebrows. "I thought no one was allowed to leave?"

He sighs. "I said we're not allowed to leave. They're different, they're Runners. They know more about the maze then anyone else."

The word 'maze' caught my attention. "Wait what?"

"What?"Chuck asks, pretending.

"You said maze."

"I-i did?"He stutters and I nod my head.

I walked closer to the doors but I heard a yell. "Hey!"And the next moment, I was flying through the air and I hit the ground, hard.

I scrambled to get up. "Why won't you let me leave?!"I yelled out as people started crowding.

"Just calm down, alright?"Newt says in a calm voice. "What's out the-"I say but was cut off by a sound.

I feel the ground shake and a sound of concrete rubbing against concrete fill the air. I turned around and see the openings close. I furrow my brows once again. Someday I might get creases. It was silent.

"Next time, I'm gonna let you leave."The boy who pushed me says with his arms crossed. The crowd started deforming.

The sun officially went down and Alby yelled out, "Light em' up!"As he lights up a stick with fire and threw it on the sticks that were piled up against each other, creating a huge bonfire.

-
chuck you're such a cutie :')