Chapter 48

She kept running until she came face to face with two Death Eaters. She stopped dry, but without second thought began to attack, hoping for it all not to be family of her friends.

She was extremely talented with non verbal casting, she aimed stunning spell after stunning spell, until one of the masks fell. They were not family of her pals. "Avada Kedavra!"

It hit the man square in the chest where he fell like a ragged doll. The other man looked at her in disbelief. She too felt a horrible sensation pour inside her. She had just committed murder.

"Encarcerous! Expelliarmus!"

The two jinxes flew past her and hit the Death Eater. His wand flew thought the air and someone behind caught it.

"Tonks!"

"Y/n! Have you seen Remus!?"

"No! Have you seen Draco?"

They stared at each other, full of understanding. They ran to the other and hugged tightly, letting go, sending reassuring smiles to the other, and kept running in opposite directions.

She could hear commotion in the upper floor.
Death Eaters and Hogwarts defenders dueling all around.

She ran past another corridor, and she heard the voice of Draco somewhere near.
"C-Crabbe?"

She ran flat out towards the nearest staircase, not pausing to think or see around her.
Curses and jinxes flew past her making her hair ruffle.

"Ginny?"

"Y/n?"

A Death Eater had turned a sharp corner and aimed the killing curse at both of them, but Y/n was quicker. "Bombarda!" The man flew feet away and hit the wall at the end hard.

She nodded to Ginny and kept on running up the staircase. "Draco!" She turned.

"Hello Minister!" At a far end she saw Fred and another boy she believed to be his brother duelling more Death Eaters, who were suddenly joined by Harry, Ron and Hermione.

She ran towards them, she was sure they'd seen Draco, because Draco was looking for them.

"Potter! Potter! Fred!" She came closer.

"You actually are joking Perce ... I don't think I've heard you joke since-"

"Have you seen Draco!!" She bellowed, but before she could finish, the air exploded. And she felt her head hit something hard. Hot liquid was pouring from the side of her head. She slowly began to see lights in her eyes.

Somewhere near, or perhaps kilometres away, she could hear the screams of pain that came only when something deeper than the physical body was maimed.

"No! Fred! No!"

Her eyes were starting to roll back. "Y/n?" She felt cold hands hold her body. She found him at last. "D- Draco?"

————
Draco's POV

Somewhere near he could hear the screams of the only person left he could not bear to lose.
He was still groggy and nauseated from what just happened, and trying to locate where her call came from was hard. His ears and his brain were moving slowly, a fuzzy ringing in his ear.

"Draco!"

"Y-y/n!" He tried to scream, but his lungs, fighting for air protested, and he could not get the strength to try once more.
Please find me. Please find me.

"Potter! Potter! Fred!"

A mingle of voices not far beyond where he stood filled the air. But his brain seemed to only focus on her.

"Have you seen Draco!?" He could hear her, but whatever came next was drowned. Something had exploded. It hit him like freezing water. He managed to stand, stumbling a little, and once his eyes focused, he saw at the end of the corridor, wreckage. A part of the wall of the castle had been blown apart.

"Y/n?" His mouth went dry. With all the care he could manage, he attempted to hold her limp form. Color was leaving her at a speed he could not stop. Her eyes were unfocused and it was hard for her to stop them from rolling plank.
"D-Draco?"

He smiled amidst his terror. Around him people were moving. But it did not matter. He needed to get her somewhere safe. To keep her alive. A lot of blood had already poured from her head where she had got the impact. "Stay with me Y/n. Don't go! We have to get out together remember? To a cottage in the mountains where we could see the sky?" His voice broke.

She was getting as cold as a ghost. Her face had a little smile, and her eyes looked at him. They said it all. And then they went blank. Staring nothing. "No! Y/n no! Don't leave me!"

He was shaking. Tears were falling at an immeasurable speed from his face. But it could not be. Y/n Lyron could not be dead. There was no way! One of the brightest and most powerful people. How could that be?

Someone had come and knelt beside him. Helped him up, and helped to raise her body.

He looked to the person. It was one of the twins. George, because he had a missing ear.

His face reflected the pain and anguish he felt, but it seemed to go even deeper than his own. At last Draco raised his head, and saw in front, two other figures carrying his twin. Fred Weasley had also died.

Draco turned to look at George, he seemed to be walking without knowing where to go. His life anchor was being carried dead in front. His best friend. His life companion. Draco felt everything inside him disappear.

What was the point of war going on, when all that mattered was now gone?

They entered what seemed to be the Great Hall. Lines of lines of stretchers lay on the floor, with the injured and the dead. He scanned the place looking for his parents, and for the rest of his friends. Then his eyes fell upon Gemini, who had not yet realised who he carried in his arms.

Draco and George laid her softly on the stretcher to the right of Fred. On his other side lay Remus and a Nymphadora, his cousin who had married Lupin, holding hands, but desperately dead.

He fell to his knees beside Y/n. Caressing the hair off her face and trying to tidy her up, while all inside him came crashing to the ground. On his side, the entirety of the Weasley family crouched besides Fred's body, crying uncontrollably.

"Draco? Draco have you seen my-" Gemini fell to her knees next to him. All the life seemed to leave her, and a scream that sent shivers to his bones filled the air. The pain of a mother to see their only child dead upon the ground.
She threw her arms over the body and hugged her daughter, laying her softly back upon the ground. And turned then to him.
He was prepared for a scream, for blame. It was his fault. She was looking for him. And his stupid body was too slow. She could've been spared if he'd screamed, she would've turned instead of walking straight to the explosion.
But it did not come. Gemini was hugging him, her body was trembling with pain and grief, but she still held him. He did not understand.
"You brought her back" she whispered to him.
"Thank you".

He could not bear it. He disentangled from her embrace and he stood.