Chapter 17

The few days that followed the selection of the champions were filled with tension. Potter looked dreadful and it seemed like neither his friends nor the rest of the school was particularly keen on him being selected. He could be found wandering alone or with no other company apart from Hermione in the library.
Draco had taken the chance for a major way to taunt his favorite enemy and made badges for everyone, that went from support Cedric Diggory to POTTER STINKS when you pressed them.
"You know, you should start using your creativity and art skills for something more productive than torturing Harry" laughed Y/n the morning Draco was giving badges to everyone who entered or left the common room.

"I could, but why would I? This is much more fun!" Smirked Draco.

To Y/n's surprise, a great deal of the school had gotten Malfoy's badges, it was clear people were not happy with Potters participation.
Draco was thriving, and took every chance he could to tease him.

"Why so tense Pottah ?"
Harry stopped in his tracks to see us approaching. Y/n was lowkey sorry that Harry had to endure Malfoy's childish behavior and usually tried to stop him, but today he had the face of someone who would take no one's bs, so she let things happen.
"My father and I have a bet you see. I say you won't last 10 minutes in this tournament. He disagrees, he thinks you won't last five!" Malfoy sneered.

"I don't give a DAMN what your father thinks Malfoy! He's vile and cruel, and you're just pathetic!" Snapped Harry.

For a striking moment, flashes of the a quidditch World Cup went through Y/n's mind, remembering Draco and his father.
She was snapped off her cloud of thoughts almost immediately, Mad Eye Moody had come to stop the boys dueling and had transformed Draco into a pure white Ferret.
Crabbe, Goyle and Y/n went white. No one had ever used transfiguration in a student like that.

"Professor Moody! What are you doing!?" Came McGonnagall.
She stopped him and transfigured Draco back to a boy. He staggered and was shaking, Y/n instinctively went to help him hold up, and with the help of Snape took him to the hospital wing.

~~~

A few weeks had gone by and Draco was out of the Hospital wing. His own doing backfiring as he was now terrified of Mad Eye. Y/n kept close whenever the professor was around, stopping Malfoy doing anything stupid.

The first task was to take place later that day, and everyone was expectant, a rumor that Dragons were involved were flying around. It was fun, Y/n was one of the few people who knew Draco was rather fond of said creatures, so she knew he was lowkey excited to see some up close.

They all made their way to the stadium, and took their seats. Y/n came across Fred and George on the way up, who were doing bets, she knew they were making money because they were planning on opening a joke shop after they graduated, so she chose to be of help and made a bet to Krum making it first place.

She went to find her friends, and noticed Zach had squished himself in the seat next to Draco, so Y/n was forced to sit in the row below with Blaise and Daphne.

In fact, the champions had to battle Dragons and steal a golden egg. Krum did alright, Cedric was close but made it out with not much more than a few scratches. Fleur barely made it, and Potter epically made it, destroying some property on the way.

After that exiting day, Slytherin house was reunited in an empty cathedral classroom by their head of house. Something of odd happening, he usually just popped into their common room and told them whatever they needed to know.

"It is a tradition of the Triwizard tournament to hold a Yule ball..." drawled Snape, clearly unamused with the subject.
He explained about the dance and told his students that we were to be in the great hall in an hour for dance lessons with Mcgonnagall.

"Oh my! That's what they asked us dress robes for!" Whispered Daphne excitedly to Y/n.

They made them their way to the great hall where McGonnagall was waiting and took seats, boys in one side and girls in the other. She went on about the importance of being a good dancer, but it wasn't needed for this house. It was common knowledge wizarding children were usually forced to learn to dance from a young age due to the fancy balls families tend to throw to show off in the high society.

"May I have two volunteers please!" Came the voice of the professor.
No one moved.
"How about Miss Lyron and Mr Malfoy?"

Both Y/n and Draco looked up, clearly neither had expected to be the pawns to demonstrate, and both reluctantly stood and got in front of McGonnagall.
Zach's face was flushed with jealousy, Pansy Parkinson looked like she was about to avada kedavra Y/n, and Daphne was finding it hard to silence her giggles.
Y/n felt her cheeks burn as the professor asked Draco to hold her waist. She felt odd. Something in the pit of her stomach was making her feel dizzy. Why was she feeling like this, Draco was her best friend and they had danced before? What is new about that?

Music started to play and as they danced to the basic steps, Professor McGonagall started to explain something. But Y/n wasn't listening, the people and the room had become background noise. All she could see was Draco slightly smiling at her, guiding the dance. Bloody smile, it always made her smirk.

Slowly, more pairing were being stood to dance so that the professors could place them to follow an organized pattern.
Daphne, who was paired with Zach, passed Y/n smirking at her and throwing funny looks, what was up with her lately?

Once the music ended, almost all pairs separated and started to disperse, but Y/n and Draco had been mysteriously rooted to the spot, looking deeply at each other as though people around them had suddenly disappeared. Yet the moment was broken apart, as a concerned Zach and an irritated Pansy had come to take them away.

"Forgot about me have you?" Asked Zach one they were out of earshot.

"What?" Asked Y/n distractedly, she was still trying to figure out what had happened.

Zach looked at her in disbelief, but didn't say much more, just took her by the arm and walked her back to the Slytherin dungeon.