Chapter 32

She saw him disappear. Her heart breaking in so many pieces she thought it might never stick back.
Minutes later, her family arrived at the gates.
She could not stand it, so she jumped into the bathtub, there was no stopping the tears now.

Once she managed to pick herself up, she got out of the tub and got into warm pjs. She was brushing her wet hair looking empty at her reflection.

Gemini had come in. Her face quickly going from pity to a mix with anger.
"You know people are easiest to read when they are hurting Y/n"

Y/n barely acknowledged the comment. She knew her mother had seen inside her mind, maybe without wanting to, but she was too numb from pain to care.

"That was so irresponsible of you Y/n Lyron! Don't you understand what's at stake?!" She whispered urgently.

"I do. And we ended it tonight. Don't worry mother" answered Y/n, emotionless.

With a simple charm, Y/n dried her hair, and got into the bed. "Night mother".

Gemini sat at the foot of her bed. "I know this is hard corazón. But there are times when we have to stop thinking of our own. War is coming, we have to think with our head, not our heart"

"I know" she whispered.

"I'm sorry, we never wanted your heart to break"

Y/n did not reply. She stayed still, tears falling onto her silky pillow, which still had a hint of his cologne.

~~~

The rest of the summer went by in a blur. She had been numb for several weeks before she could start to get herself together, and prepare to what was coming. The only cheerful thing that had brought her a little light was her several visits to Fred and George's new joke shop, Weasleys Wizard Weezys. She had told them that she had broken up with Draco, avoiding letting them know she had to, but sticking to the story that they did no longer see eye to eye. They had not bought the story for a second, but either way managed to cheer her up.
"Ah, see you've found the Decoy Detonators!"
Said Fred cheerfully.
"Excellent for quick distractions!" Added George.

"Come, we'll show you the new stuff we just put out!"

"They're the upgraded Skiving Snackboxes!"

She appreciated it, cheering up is what she needed for the times ahead...

At last, September 1st arrived. They didn't even look at each other. It was too painful. Y/n sat with some Ravenclaw friends in the train.

All of their Slytherin friends knew they'd broken up, knowing the real reasons, and helping them have distance enough for them not to hurt.

Pansy and Daphne were keeping her busy taking about everything and nothing. Pansy was currently dating Theodore Nott, so she had become considerably nicer to be around.

She only looked up to clap at Snape's success on obtaining the DADA post, as a strange stuffed man took the potions master post.

The following morning they were handed their schedules, Snape had to check they had enough O.W.Ls to be in the classes they desired. To Y/n's fortune, she had managed all Outstandings and an Acceptable in History of Magic and Divination. She took her schedule, noticing she had a free period that morning, so she headed to the common room. Blaise had Ancient Runes, so he left, Daphne and her had a nearly identical schedule, but to their bad luck, Draco did too.

They headed to their lessons. Most went alright. It was true that the tasks were becoming increasingly complicated and topics were the same, even the brightest needed repeating from time to time.
The last lesson of the day was potions. A class Y/n was dreading, for there were only four Slytherins in that class, which meant she'd be sitting in the same table as Draco.

A pompous man with a walrus mustache greeted them to the classroom. The room was filled with smells and vapors of all shapes and colors.

"I have prepared a variety of potions for you to peruse and have a look at. These are the types of things you ought to be capable of brewing by the end of the year!"

After a dramatic introduction, the professor began interrogating them about the potions around the class.

"Miss Lyron is it? Yes! I've heard of you family! Truly fascinating! Would you care to tell me what the potion nearest your table is?" He asked cheerfully.

Her heart began to pound in her ears. She knew what it was, and was praying she would not be the one to answer. With all the strength she could muster, she answered. "It is Amortentia sir, it is the most powerful love potion in the world" she felt her cheeks get pink.

"That is correct! Take 10 points for Slytherin! If you don't mind me, would you share, what it smells like to you?"

She gulped hard. "Uuh, I s-smell oil paint, palm trees" she felt her mouth go dry. "New furniture and M-mint."

"Fascinating!"
Blaise and Pansy had instinctively reached her arms, squeezing reassuringly.

She crossed a gaze with Draco. The ghost of a smirk appeared on his face. Momentarily getting lost in the other's eyes, longingly.

"This is what I offer you as a prize! Brew the potion correctly, and little Felix Felicis may be yours!"

His attention was momentarily captured by the offer. Their gaze broken.
She stood to get ingredients, Draco had followed.
"I smelled you too"

She smirked, taking her ingredients and paying him a small glance. It hurted, but it made her feel alive.

Following the instructions of the book was proving useless, it was not working so Y/n broke out of the line and went for tricks she had learnt from her Grandmother, who she grew up seeing brew this potion and many more. With a few of her tricks under her sleeve, she had manage to get her potion as close as the book said it should be by the end.

Slughorn had given her the thumbs up, she thought she had it in the bag, until Harry somehow, from god knows where, obtained sudden talent for potion making and brewed the potion to perfection, winning the liquid luck.

"Damned chosen one"
She said under her breath with annoyance.

The other Slytherins had caught her words and were silently giggling.

Perhaps things shouldn't be so complicated...