Chapter 31

She scanned the paper several times before fully taking in what it said.
Draco was looking pale and mad. Mad like she'd never seen him before, a few others were looking similarly too.

Last night after the DA kids had escaped, they had gone and broke into the ministry of Magic, getting into a duel with Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix (not including her family thank god) coming into the battle too.
The Death Eaters had been captured, amongst them, Lucius, Draco's father.

It was also news, that the Dark Lord had been present, and that Dumbledore and him had dueled that night. The aftermath was devastating.
Sirius Black had died there too.

It was true she shouldn't feel like she did, but at that precise moment, she truly couldn't help but hating Harry Potter and his friends...

~~~

At last the year was over, they were leaving platform 9 3/4 to go home for the summer. Unlike last time they were there, Narcissa and Gemini were standing feet apart. Looking stressed and looking at either Draco or Y/n with apprehension.
"What's with them?" Asked Y/n, her face dropping.

Both mothers looked at their hands, Draco was holding Y/n's.
They followed their gazes. "We'll talk later" whispered Draco.

They kissed goodbye and made their way to their family.

"Hey mum-"

"I would've thought you broke up with him after what happened at the ministry Y/n"

Y/n looked taken aback. That was the least warm welcome ever. "It was his father, not him!"

"You know that he will eventually join them"

"What are you trying to tell me mother"

"That you ought to end it. It has come the time for you to pick your side. And I do hope that you stand with your family" said Gemini with such finality and coldness Y/n didn't dare speak.
She got in the car, looking out the window to not let her mother see her cry.

She didn't eat dinner that night, everyone was acting cold and stern, they needed to be sure she cut laces with Draco. For her own good...

What bullshit. It was only to make sure neither would put their families in danger, because wether they liked it or not, they were standing on opposite sides of war.

Once everyone was asleep, she made her way to the yard, where a large hedge separated her house from his.
"They want me to break up with you" she whispered through the hedge.

"Mother says the same, that I need to be the man of the house with no distractions"

She felt tears wash her face. Distractions.

"What if I don't want to"

"I think it is for the best. Until this mess is over. This way we can't be a weapon for each other"

She knew he'd memorized this words, because she could hear the pain it caused him to utter them, he'd thought them through well.

"What if we don't make it both alive"

"We will. I promise"

As each second passed, Y/n's inside broke into more pieces.

"Can we just postpone it, for at least a few weeks?"
She whispered trembling, she was crying hard now.

"We have until my birthday"

Her heart sank. You didn't need to be a genius to understand. "Are you?"

"I think so"

"Is there another way?"

"He doesn't give options. He wants me for something"

His voice was steady, but she knew only too well, he was in panic, he was afraid and she could not help him. "I hate this"

"I do too"

She couldn't stand it, and apparated on the other side, holding Draco tightly in her arms, and kissing him deeply, bittersweet.

The following days, they had been sneaking during the early hours of the morning and hiding in the immensity of either of their yards.
Talking under brightly starred nights, about crazy scape plans, and places they could run to, and plans for their future, about a beautiful house by the mountains in Ireland, where no one would force them to take sides and where they could be free to live, and watch the rain and the sun, and the stations go by, and if she ever wanted to, they'd have a son or a daughter, and if she didn't want to, they would just grow old together, the two of them.
He spoke like a little boy full of hope, as they lay on the grass and he drew pictures in the sky as he spoke.
Or he drew them on her hand, as he laid on her lap.

If it was not for that, perhaps both would've got lost, lost in themselves, for outside of those little bubbles of hope, life was growing dark.

Both had convinced their families they had ended things, so they were usually left alone, they both were hurting and that was a fact.
Their nights of happiness were coming to an end, his birthday was around the corner.

The weekend before Draco's 16th, Gemini and her grandparents had left her alone as they went to a meeting with the order at the new hq in the Burrow. Narcissa had gotten busy with business to free Lucius, and Draco and Y/n had planed it all, for them to meet again.

As Y/n's family departed, Draco appeared in the house. The house elves were far too busy to notice, and they had been told to leave her be.

Silently and cautiously, she took him to her room. She closed the door and placed an imperturbable charm.

"How long do we have?"

"Until 7".

Without wasting another second, they got lost in the mix of cherry and mint, slowly dropping on her bed, his jacket already on the floor.

"Are you sure?"

"Never been more decided in my life"

Hours passed of hot pressed skin. His touch was gentle but possessive, and he ran his hands and lips through her every inch. Soon he knew her body like a map. His blonde locks prickled her nose, his kisses were becoming addictive, almost impossible to pull back.

"I promise that next time, we won't be saying goodbye"
He whispered as he held her in his chest. She was crying.
"I'm scared, I don't want to lose you"

"You won't lose me, we will make it"

He was crying too. He tried to hide it, but she felt it in his unsteady breaths.
When it was nearly seven, Draco dressed back and Y/n organized the room. Erasing any proof, any trace of Draco.

They kissed for a last time, thirsty for the other, slaty tears interrupted the mint and cherry.