Chapter 18

The days that followed the announcement of the dance were followed by a large number of proposals from all houses and all schools, as well as the largest number of students signing up to stay for the Christmas holidays.

So far, 13 guys from Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and even Durmstrang had asked Daphne, but she had turned them all down since she was already going with Blaise who asked her the night after dance practice.
Some more had asked Y/n, but she hadn't given them any answer, Zach wasn't making it clear whether he was going to invite her or not, and a part of her also wondered if Draco would perhaps ask her.

Draco's POV————

After the announcement of the ball, proposals for dates were raining here and there. It was making him anxious. After the dance practice his certainty to take Pansy was broken, someone else had been running through his mind too.

It was clear anyway, that the idea was going to be erased from his mind when Zach kept approaching him for hep to propose to Y/n. Draco knew she'd been waitlisting everyone supposedly waiting for Selwyn.
She once told him she never liked noisy and great promposals, she was better off with simple and not so out there things, and something inside him not wanting Y/n to go with Zach told him to say the wrong answer. Malfoy had driven Selwyn to prepare a grand and rather visible proposal in the entrance hall for Y/n, in the hopes that she would say no.

Selwyn waited for her and Daphne, who was reluctant of the idea, she too knew Y/n didn't like to be on the spotlight for things like this, but chose to follow along anyway.
They arrived and with a pompous greeting that caught almost the entire hall's attention, Zach proposed to Y/n. She went scarlet and looked panicky, but said yes to going to the ball with Zach.
Draco was rather annoyed at this matter, and was later forced to ask Pansy who kept insisting on her having a grand promposal too, to which Draco ignored.

He knew, that if it worked out, Zach would manage Y/n to be his girlfriend and try long distance, and that for some reason made Draco's inside burn. He didn't want to admit why, and blamed it on being her best friend and having a brotherly like sense to her....

Y/n's POV————

Zach had made a loud promposal in front of a large crowd, something Y/n had been dreading. Making it so public made it harder to say no, specially when she was supposedly expecting it, but she was also hoping some courage to say no if he asked.

Draco had been avoiding her ever since, and barely talked to her during DADA, which annoyed her immensely. What had she done now? He didn't even want to tell her who he was going with, and had to find out to his date boasting about it to anyone who listened.
She would never admit it to even herself, but she would never be able to take it if Draco and Pug Face Pansy started dating like she so long dreamed. She kept telling herself it was because he's her best friend, but deep down the story went a little further.

~~~

The tension between the best friends had become hard to handle, and they would begin to bicker over the most random things, which was starting to annoy their friends too, and had costed Y/n and Blaise a detention with professor Sinistral for fighting in the middle of an Astronomy lesson, where both Y/n and Blaise lost their temper and screamed.

They had to serve their detention in no better night than in the night a small party was to take place in the Slytherin common room to celebrate the beginning of holiday.

Y/n was put to sort out and organize old star charts that were no longer useful and Blaise was put to clean the school's old telescopes that were usually borrowed by people who forgot or lost or broke their own.

They were kept at it until almost midnight, when they were finally allowed to leave and had to get from the top corner of the castle all the way to the top bottom on the other side.

Lazily and sleepily, they went back to the common room and ignoring the party, went straight to sleep.

Next morning was a bright and chilly Saturday. Students were getting ready to leave home and the rest were wandering around enjoying their free time.
Y/n woke around 11 am and made her way to breakfast by herself, Daphne and the other girls were still deeply asleep.
The Slytherin table was almost empty, so she sneaked to the Gryffindor table and sat with the twins and Lee who were discussing dates for the ball.
" I asked Angelina Johnson, you know her, she's a chaser for Gryffindor" told Fred.

"Lee and I won't be taking anyone tho, we're going to be bachelors for the night" smirked George.

"Who are you going with Y/n? We heard Selwyn asked you but we thought it was a joke, you hate publicity" laughed Fred.

Lovely, even the twins knew, and Zach still had the nerve to do that. "Oh yeah, I'm going with him" she answered trying to hide the disappointment in her voice.

They talked the breakfast away until at last she saw her slytherin friends arrive. She said her goodbyes to the group and went to join her housemates.
There was something strange about them all. Zach and Daphne were tense and avoiding even looking at each other. Draco looked mad and annoyed and was also avoiding everyone's gaze. Yet Blaise was wearing an expression of confusion that mirrored her own.

"Uh why the long faces? Not hungover are you?" She teased amused.
No one answered her but kept rigid and looking everywhere except them.

"Wait are you all actually hungover?" Laughed Blaise with in incredulous look.

"Damn the party must have been so much fun" concluded Y/n, still trying to believe their friends.

After breakfast Blaise had suggested they go and visit their Durmstrang friends and chat with them by the lake, not they all declined and went straight back to the common room and shut themselves in their rooms. Draco, to Blaise and Y/n's complete surprise, chose to let Pansy drag him wherever to hang out.

"What happened at that party?" Asked Y/n open mouthed, her insides turning over in an emotion she was not going to admit to feeling.